We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mid Price Accommodation

ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mid Price Accommodation

hi i have been looking for hotels for my parents who are planning to travel to saint julians for a week in September. looking for advice on hotels that are mid price.they said they want to pay around 600euro for a week. i have checked a lot of reviews on hotels in saint julians from various websites including tripadvisor but it the only good reviews i have seen are for the more expensive hotels like the dragonara,meridian,radisson,corinthian. but reviews for the mid priced hotels seem to be very mixed or in noisier areas like paceville .i have tried to narrow it down a bit, was looking at the marina hotel,golden tulip vivaldi,alexandra or the alfonso which seem to be the better of the mid price range.Or would an apartment be better suited to that price range.if any one could advise me on which of these hotels would be better for an older couple or an other hotels in the area it would be much appreciated.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

The Rokna gets good reviews and is nicely located close to the Hilton, on the edge of Paceville so a relatively quiet area. Another to check out is the Cavaleri which is situated next to the sea with good facilities. Also check out the Juliani, a little more expensive, but thet have some special offers on their website. Of the 3 you mentioned the Vivaldi is probably the best located (opposite the Westin) and the public areas look quite nice, it also has the advantage of an ATM on the doorstep.

Hungary, EUROPE
Level Contributor
735 posts
421 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

if I were you just try to check agoda.com

for July Sliema accomodation they were unbeatable, we already booked our 7 days trip with them :)

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

Search engines are a good start to get prices for available accommodation, however I have found some really good bargains by checking the hotels websites, since most have excellent recession busting offers. From experience I have found that when I book direct with the hotel I tend to get better rooms and often free upgrades that are not always available when you book through a third party. However, where the third party rate can't be met by the hotel (I generally either phone or email to ask) I would take the cheaper option.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

Are you talking about the Corinthia Marina Hotel or the Marina Hotel in Sliema - big difference. Corinthia Marina is lovely, Marina Hotel is in a good location but not sure about the hotel itself.

You could also try out some Sliema Hotels, they are a little bit more central than some of the St Julian's ones - Corinthia Marina for example. Don't know how fit your parents are or how old they are, do they have to be near public transport?

ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

think i have decided not to go with corinthia marina hotel in saint juliants.think parents wanted some cheaper.was going to go with the alfonsos hotels in st julians cos it was decent value for money although just wandering is sliema close to st julians as most of wedding party are staying in hotels in st julians, parents were asking bout the plaza regency hotel in sliema cos it looked nice and decent value.but i dont know if that is close to amenities or how far it is from saint julians.cheers

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

Sliema is next door to St Julians and they share a lovely long promenade. It takes a couple of minutes by bus and is a 30 or 40 minute (easy) walk. I have never visited Alfonso's so cannot comment on this accommodation,

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

Plaza is ideally placed for all amenities, it's along the promenade so on the bus route with lots of restaurants nearby (and the most delicious ice-cream shop there is!!). As regards location I would prefer the Plaza - depends on how near the other guests they want to be. It is on the border between Sliema (on the Sliema side) and St Julian's. It is a fair walk to the other side of St Julian's (where the Corinthia Marina is) but is a pleasant enough walk (partly uphill) - depends how fit they are. You could get a bus part of the way but probably still need to walk the last bit.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,935 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

Online both the Plaza and Alfonso look to be ok and are generally well reviewed. Location wise I agree with Twirl because the Plaza is very close to St Julians, and some of my favourite restaurants. Also, I avoid the hill to St Julians by cutting through the harbour at Spinola Bay and then just have to tackle the steps up to Portomaso Square (ok they are quite steep, but it cuts out a big uphill walk and a corner), from there it is all downhill past the Westin to the Corinthia :)

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,306 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

I have been to Malta three times in the past 13 months stayed at the Corentina in St Georges Bay €475.00 for a week Le Meridian at the new year €538.00 for a junior suite and the Park Hotel Sliema at Easter €360.00 all including breakfast and the Park was an apartement on the First floor dont know if they have the rest of the rooms converted yet all hotels were booked with Booking.Com have a look and book a wonderful holiday.

ireland
Level Contributor
49 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mid Price Accommodation

thanks for all the ideas,decided to go with the alfonso hotel as it was closer to the rest of wedding party and pretty good value.plaza looks like a very nice hotel but with my parents being older its just a bit farther away than i would like.thanks again.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations