We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Which Saint Julian's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dublin
Level Contributor
55 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Hi

We are heading out to St Julians for a wedding next year and have booked Villa Sunnyside which looks amazing on their website but just wondering if anyone has ever stayed there or knows the exact location i.e is it close to shops, restaurants & supermarket..

Also as we are going to a wedding in the Radisson I was just wondering if anyone can help with any names of hair salons as will be looking to get our hair done for the big day..

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

Thanks

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

I believe the same owner has the property close by name Belevedere Villa, which my family is renting late June of this year... will keep you posted on how it all worked out with location, management, etc...

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Hi,

We stayed for a week in March this year and it was disappointing. I agree the photos do look amazing but we had a number of issues and the owners were not receptive to our problems.

Firstly the whole villa was cold and smelt of damp. I do not think it had been aired and they had simply opened it up for us. Our bathroom was the ensuite on the second floor and had horrible damp and a lot of the walls had mold on them.

Secondly the towels and bedding were damp and unpleasant and didn't dry at all, the whole week, and we had to have the heating on a lot. In the height of summer it might be fine as there is a washing line on the roof, but a shame.

The main issue was the basement rooms - both floors. We have a one year old daughter and thought the play area would be great however it was very damp, the ceiling was dripping with water and the smell was horrible. I would not want to spend anytime there, let alone allow my daughter to breathe in the wet air. Furthermore there is no natural light or windows. We did complain and the owner, David, but he did not seem bothered. He simply said the weather was not his fault (as it had rained the previous week) repeatedly and merely shrugged. We requested 3 dehumidifiers, received one, and then we had to argue to not have to pay for the electricity for having it on round the clock. We suggested the swimming pool might have been leaking, which he denied until the last day, when he accepted it could be, but he was more concerned about sorting it for his guests the next week!

Part of the issue was his attitude, When confronted with the problems and we suggested he should have e mailed us to say that the basement rooms were unusable and that the towels and bedding were damp and that there was no bedding for the cot, he walked out. The general response was 'why didn't you tell me sooner', despite us informing them on numerous occasions and he would not compensate us.

You have to pay for the electricity and water so be prepared for the added cost.

I would recommend buying some basics or bring them with you, such as soap etc...all that is provided is toilet roll, unless the previous people leave you some supplies.

It is walking distance, if you don't mind about twenty to thirty minutes, to St Georges Bay, then onto St Julians. A taxi back from St Julians cost about 10 euros. We walked along the promenade to Silema, which took about an hour from the villa but a lovely walk and plenty of places to stop for a sit down or a drink.

It simply is not up to scratch - it is not the level of luxury that it is advertised as and the pictures are misleading.

There is a supermarket and fishmongers just down the hill and a cafe which does lovely cakes and coffee.

I hope you have a more successful week than we did! Changes might have occurred. We did have lovely weather so were out and about everyday, which made the holiday enjoyable.

dublin
Level Contributor
55 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Thanks for your comments, I've gone back to David and queried these problems with him, however his answeres are a bit vague - he did admit there was a small problem with damp but it has been resolved. I just feel caught between a rock and a hard place as we've paid our deposit but I don't want to pay over the balance if its not what we are expecting. We have small children in our party so the issues you raised would be of definite concern to us.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

We returned from Sunnyside on the 31st March this year. I agree with all the issues mentioned by 109juliari and can state they have most definitely NOT been resolved. It's still dirty, damp and smelly.

I note the villa has now been removed from the site we booked it from.

The damp in the cellar rooms was horrendous...and one of the bedrooms was off this cellar. Cold with no windows. We were relieved my brother had been unable to join us as originally planned, because this would have meant one of my children having to use it.

My husband has asthma and both my daughters and myself suffer with our chests so we spent very little time in the games/play rooms.

The cinema was the worst - but as an 'optional extra' we didn't use it. There was only a very small selection of pirate dvds available anyway. The disco did not work (told they had had storms in the previous week and water had leaked into the cellar and the electrics), and no Cd's provided anyway. Two items in the 'gym' didn't work, or the air hockey.

There was mould on the walls in the kitchen and one of the bathrooms. There were flies constantly in the outside courtyard.

There weren't enough chairs for our party of 8. Or enough glasses for everyone. No washing up liquid or washing cloths and just 2 small teatowels were found hanging (damp) on the line on the roof terrace. Small things but annoying on top of everything else.

Holes in the walls, missing skirting and no duvet covers. Stained towels. Not enough toilet roll or black bin bags. Cooker and BBQ both broken (but fixed after 2 days by a workman from next door, once we were finally able to contact David via his mum in law 2 doors away).

Jane came to see us and was quite keen to resolve some of the smaller problems (ie Wifi, duvet covers) but just ended up sending us a modem and single sheets for the double beds.

She promised to come and see us again before our departure to discuss things further, but never did.

We had just a contact number for David Caruana on our arrival. Which we were to ring and he would give us directions and meet us there. However on trying to contact him from Luqa airport the phone was constantly 'unobtainable'. We tried several times from all our different phones and got the same response. We finally reached the villa 2 hours later after gettting relatives in England to find it on google maps and they directed us. They also found us Jane's number and she told us to collect key from her mum. David's phone remained like this for the duration of our stay...and Jane's did too. Jane denies that their phones were switched off at all, but the fact remains we could not contact them.

The photos on the website are obviously very old - the villa most definitely is not luxury and in dire need of redecoration. Which is a shame because it has the potential to be lovely.

I might also add we wanted to book Sunday to Sunday - the flights were better for us but David refused point blank, on the grounds someone might want to come in on a Saturday for Easter Holiday weeks. So we effectively lost a day as we could only get late flights out on the Saturday and early flights back the following week. No one ever did book the villa for the day we left. In fact he ended up reducing the villa by 50% for those weeks. Reducing it to less than we'd paid for it for 'low season'. Adding insult to injury.

David was more interested in completing Villa Belvedere next door for potential customers rather than our comfort. Workmen there awoke us every morning at 7am and, on one occasion, at 1am.

Two dehumidifiers were still there running 24/7. My husband emptied them regularly.

On our return we complained again via email and Jane agreed that we had valid reasons to complain and promised a revamp for future guests. However, this will be a big job and I note they have people booked in for quite a lot of the time.

She said they would not charge for the 'extra' electricity used (40 euros) when I brought up the dehumidifier issue. This was the only concession she was prepared to make. Now ignoring my emails and they still owe us the 500 euro 'safety deposit' two weeks after our return.

Malta is lovely - we went there for my birthday and to celebrate the end of a very difficult year for us - and we had a great time at the Marine Park, Golden Bay, Gozo, Blue Grotto and Valletta. We paid extra for my two youngest children to have private 'interactive' time with the dolphins, sealions, parrots and snakes at the Marine Park and it was well worth the extra.

We found costs to be quite reasonable compared to the UK - although a taxi driver charged my teenage daughters 20 Euros from Paceville after a night out!

We will definitely return to Malta as there was lots more we wanted to do but didn't get the chance to...but it won't be with the Caruana's.

I hope all these issues are resolved by the time you travel there. Perhaps you could suggest a transfer to the new Belvedere next door instead? Being so new it maybe won't have all the problems of Sunnyside. I believe it's the same price.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Further to my reply of yesterday.

After contacting the company we found the villa through and also posting on here David has refunded the 500 euro deposit (though after conversion fees & paypal charges this has ended up as £386).

He has also offered to find us a 'good deal' on one of his villas if we decide to return to Malta.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
89 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Wow, now I'm nervous too, as we are due to send in our final payment for the Belvedere unit next door. It is a shame that the management has poor standards, and through travel forums their business will take a hit... I am hoping to write a good review upon our return in July. Trying to keep optimistic.

Letterkenny, Ireland
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Hi All,

I asked my wedding planner to go view this Villa as we have guests staying here for our wedding in June these are the comments he e-mailed us back..............

I viewed the Villa today and it is beautiful.

David showed me every floor and every room.

There is a very slight smell of damp in the basement (the games room) but this is to be totally expected in a Maltese villa this early in the season, especially when we had such a terrible February (the wettest on record!!!)

I would have absolutely no hesitation at all in staying in the Villa myself (in fact I have asked David to book my family in the next time he has a gap between departures and arrivals) So, please feel free to carry on with the booking.

London, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

Jmcgo2X,

I hope it does not disappoint and that David has made changes as there is more than one unhappy review on here. The Malta Tourist Board are currently investigating so fingers crossed for your guests.

I would add that it is not really 'to be expected" to have an unusable room due to the damp and smell. Courtesy would have been for David to have e mailed me and let me know that there had been bad weather, but it was still not acceptable.

Good luck!

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

All I can add is that David must have worked miracles in the 4 weeks since our return - the damp really was a major problem and not something that would be solved overnight.

This is an incredible feat, in fact, when you consider that for 3 of those 4 weeks the villa was occupied.

I also don't think that it was 'to be expected' that a room should be so uninhabitable through dampness because of some wet weather. If it was such slight damp then why did we have to have dehumidifiers running 24/7 (and emptied regularly)? This was plainly a problem that had developed over a long period of time.

I am interested to find that the Malta Tourist Board are now involved. I might contact them myself.

The website I originally booked the villa from are also aware of my complaint.

I sincerely hope that things have improved there. When you pay for luxury that is what you should get.

Good Luck to anyone else due to visit Sunnyside. I genuinely hope you have a better experience than we did.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Sunnyside - St Julians

We were in Malta last month for my wedding, my family rented Villa Diamantina and my relatives rented Villa Sunnyside. We had no problems with Villa Diamantina, however my relatives had all the same problems with Villa Sunnyside as are stated above. They only returned from Malta last Saturday so none of the problems have been resolved, they complained numerous times but the owner was really unhelpful. Even though the Villa we stayed in was fine and Villa Belvedere looks amazing, I would be very wary of making any further bookings through this owner.

On the other hand, Malta is beautiful and you will have a fantastic time. The first poster was asking about hair salons, all the big hotels have their own hair salons and there is also a Toni & Guy in St. Georges Bay.

Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations