We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

Which Saint Julian's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco
Level Contributor
92 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

Hi Everyone

I need input from those who have actually stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel. In looking at the TA reviews and pictures, it looks like the hotel is on a hill. I am thinking of booking this hotel for an October stay, however I am travelling with elderly parents, who suffers from a mild case of arthritis/rheumatism. They can climb a few steps, but any more than 7 or 8 steps, they need to rest. It is essentially painful on the knees. So the question is whether the hotel has easy access from the streets and whether the hotel is an uphill climb? Secondly, are the bus stops nearby as well?

Taunton
Level Contributor
252 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

Hi ArchiBoi

The Inter is a good hotel but it is defenitely not suitable if someone in your party has problems in getting about. It has basically been built on a hill.

The hilton would be much better for you.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Phil

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

I haven't stayed there but can answer your questions to an extent. It's on an incline which is not particularly steep (my guess is it's 15% to 20%. The main entrance is wide and there are only a couple of steps to enter the building (no more than 3). It has a large interior at ground floor level.

The bus stop is under 5 minutes walk away for a fit adult with no mobility problems so you would have to factor in your parents' circumstances and adjust accordingly. There are a couple of things to bear in mind about the walk to the bus stop. Firstly it's up hill. Secondly it involves walking along a road with no pavement for about 200 yards. It's only possible to walk single file on that stretch of road and it's a bit scarey particularly at night even for someone with no mobility issues.

There is an alternative route to the bus stop which is unsuitable on your criteria as it involves climbing a steep staircase.

Have you considered the Juliani? It's at Spinola Bay at the bottom of an incline (I doubt whether you'd have a lot of inetrest in walking up the incline - the nicer walk is along the falt from there) and very near bus stops with great views and surrounded by a large choice of restaurants.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Malta, Sliema
Level Contributor
4,661 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

Look at Hilton , Preluna and Waterfront to avoid hills and steps .

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

the phonecia if wanting to be close to Valletta..no need to get a bus there, just a 5 min walk on the flat.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,170 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

also the Phonecia is closeby to the main bus terminal for busses all over Malta, you actually pass by the terminus to get to Valletta. Valletta main street is flat with a very slow decline to its end (St Elmo Fort end), the side streets have lots of steps but most of what you want to see in Valletta is in the main street (Republic St) eg St Johns Cathedral, St James Palace & Armoury.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,438 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

I have stayed in the intercontinental 3 times and loved it every time but I have to stress to you that it is in the lively area full of young party goers and loud music. St Rita steps are the best access to the more quieter areas after a 10 min walk but these steps are the steps from hell lol. Literally about a hundred steps up surrounded by booming bars etc.

If you want a more relaxed hotel and area I would heed the advice of the other well trusted posters on here who have suggested other hotels.

Have a look at the ones mentioned before and also le meridien which is in a relatively flat area apart from a slight incline to the hotel doors for about 20meters.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
92 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

Thank you all for the advice. Sadly, the Phoenicia Hotel which was my second choice is fully booked for the days that we will be in Malta. The Hilton is incredibly expensive. So we are settling on Westin Dragonera.

Edited: 12 October 2012, 05:31
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

The Westin is probably my favourite in the area so you should not be disappointed..

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,497 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

Westin will be great...........it's in a far quieter location than the InterConti as it's located on the edge of the lively area, and sea facing! I'm sure you will enjoy.

10. Re: Location of Intercontinental Hotel at St. Julians

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 16:17
Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's
Recent Conversations