We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

Hi everyone! I'm going scuba diving in Malta with a couple of friends and I really can't wait! I'm just wondering, is it really expensive in Malta? I'll mostly be in St Julian's, but I think my friends and I will explore other parts if we have the time. Apart from the €300 I would need for the scuba diving course, how much spending money should I bring for food, transport, sightseeing, going out, etc? On the off days we'll have from diving, we will be going drinking and checking out the night life in St Julian's.

Mentioned in this post
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Saint Julian's
Level Contributor
3,081 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

It really depends on what is included in your accommodation. Breakfast in st Julians can be very reasonable, perhaps 6 or 7 euros for a full breakfast with tea. From experience when diving lunches tend to be light, so perhaps 5 euro for a sandich and drink. Dinner is available ranging from about 10 euros for a pizza/ pasta type of meal to upwards of 50 euros plus pexr person depending on your tastes and budgets. Drinks are cheaper than the UK and some contributors on this forum know of bars serving ther 1 euro pint, however, more realistic prices are 3 or 4 euros for a pint, more for some imported beers, 3 euros for a glass of wine, 6 or 7 euros for a cocktail (Hugos on the steps in Paceville does a 2 for 1 happy hour and the cocktails and snacks are quite good). If youi are diving you may find you wont drink too much on the days of your course the reasons for which will become clear during your PADI theory training. Also you may need extra money for diving expenses (i bought a mask, snorkle, diving log and other bits and pieces) and it is normal to tip the instructor. Bus travel is a bargain at 12 euros for a weeks ticket. Hope i have been of some help.

Mentioned in this post
Hugo's Boutique Hotel
Hugo's Boutique Hotel
250 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Paceville
Paceville
2,225 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
London
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

Thank you so much! This is some great advice :)

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

Don't be surprised if you spend 75€ to 100€ a day. That is based on lunch and dinner and a skin full of beer. Enjoy.

Hamilton, United...
Level Contributor
283 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

I'm with bobthestag. My husband and i usually budget about €150 a day between us. That gets us drinks and snacks throughout the day, a 2 course meal in a good restaurant at night with a bottle of wine plus cocktails and the skinfull of beer at night plus any sightseeing we fancy. It can be done on a much tighter budget if need be-food and drinks can be found really cheaply if you have a tight budget, but the way i see it you're on holiday-why scrimp?

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

saoirsechick: Well, considering I'm not exactly a high-earner, I do need to keep to a reasonable budget... :)

It all worked out well though, considering as we were diving for 5 days straight, we usually ate breakfast at home, no time for lunch, so just had an late lunch/early dinner after. I budgeted for £50 a day and still came home with €100.

And thank you for the heads up, Tripalot, we did end up buying books toward our scuba diving but we all split the cost for one so we didn't need to each buy one. :)

Sliema
Level Contributor
536 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

Please don't misunderstand me but this question has been asked many times before. No one really knows how much money you will need. Not even you.. Besides food, accommodation, shopping etc you never know what crops up. What if you got in an accident or any emergency? I always take way extra money. What you don't spend you take back home with you. If then I can't afford a holiday I just don't go. You can't really enjoy a holiday if you are going to watch every penny.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

I completely agree with you CompoSliema, I usually make sure I have extra Sterling Pounds on me while I'm on holiday so I can exchange it in case I run out of money or alternatively, withdraw money from the ATM. I took around €800 with me on essentially an 8 day trip if I'm not mistaken.

8. Re: How much money should I bring on a 8 day holiday to Malta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:18