We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malta public bus system

North Shields...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Malta public bus system

Heard that the bus system in Malta, which was being run by Arriva until a few months ago, is a bit chaotic in 2014, since Arriva pulled out. Does anyone know if the system will be fully sorted soon?

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
North Shields...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Malta public bus system

Thank you for your response. I only knew about the Buses, and not about the Tram system, or Light Rail system - neither are mentioned in the guidebooks I am currently reading. I am used to taking buses at home and our local system is mostly Arriva - so I was sorry that they no longer run Malta buses. We have rented a car when we were in Malta a few years ago, but finding parking spaces was not easy, and we resorted to the old ' boneshaker' buses which used to run, especially when visiting Valetta - and they were OK. I was mostly wondering about timetables available currently, because when I visited the Arriva Malta site a few months ago, it was possible to download timetables. However these would not be any use now.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
North Shields...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Malta public bus system

TM001

Many thanks for you valuable update. That has clarified my confusion regarding the situation. It would have been easier if Arriva were still running the system as I could have easily downloaded any timetables from their web-site before our trip - but at least it looks as though routes are still well covered.

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
11,055 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Malta public bus system

The tram system as mentioned is not in Malta . It is in Dublin.

Malta has not had a railway since 1931 and it`s tram system closed down in 1907.

You will have to stick to the buses.

Graham

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Malta public bus system

Valcarios - you can still download timetables for the interim bus company. you will find these at:

www.publictransport.com.mt

Enjoy Malta

Edited: 06 May 2014, 11:01
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Malta public bus system

I've tried to use the journey planner on Malta Public Transport and it cannot find any routes for the dates I want. The summer timetables aren't up yet either, does anyone on here know what's happening with summer timetables? I'm trying to plan some days out for when we are in Malta next month. Do you think I should just take pot luck and use the winter timetables (is there a great deal of difference?).

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Malta public bus system

They are supposed to introduce the summer timetable at the end of June when the 45 new buses leased from the UK are all in service. The exact date will probably depend on that happening. The website also mentions improvements, but whether that means they are introducing the new routes and timings they published months ago is anyone's guess! Usually, the summer timetable only means increased frequency on busier routes so I would just broadly plan what you want to do on the basis of the winter timetable/routes and check out any changes nearer the time.

sydney australia
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Malta public bus system

or else you can take Plan B....Plan B is to take whatever bus is coming even if it means to a different direction you wanted to go. We did this a few yrs ago when the busses were overloaded, not stopping to pickup anymore or whatever. We had the 7 day ticket so it didn't matter where we were going...ps we only had to do this about twice overall. But its always good to have a Plan B. But I hear that the busses are getting better.

hampshire_UK
Level Contributor
1,736 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Malta public bus system

Stella099's plan B sounds like my plan A. Not only do you get on a less crowded bus, but your destination often is as well - had some of my best days out in Malta using this plan.

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Level Contributor
116 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Malta public bus system

Thanks very much, Plan B sounds like it might be Plan A anyway :)

We stay on Gozo but are planning on a couple of days out to Malta, would like to visit Mdina/Rabat and Valletta, was hoping to have some kind of itinerary, but may just wing it anyway!

Mentioned in this post
Malta
Malta
Europe
Mdina
Mdina
Island of Malta, Malta
Rabat
Rabat
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
England
Destination Expert
for Peak District National Park
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Malta public bus system

I would second the suggestion made by TM in Post 16. This year's Summer bus network will probably be similar to the winter one but with, some extra buses and journeys (I suspect that the big changes will come at the end of the summer).

If you are coming from Gozo, the simplist way to get to Mdina is to take bus 41 or 42 to Valletta, then bus 51/52/53 from there to Rabat. Alternatively take bus 221 from the ferry to Bugibba bus station and transfer there to bus X3.

Phil-the-bus

Mentioned in this post
Mdina
Mdina
Island of Malta, Malta
Valletta
Valletta
Island of Malta, Malta
Rabat
Rabat
Island of Malta, Malta
Bugibba