We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Which Saint Julian's hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West of England
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Looking to book somewhere in the St Julian's area in next month. The reason being I'd like to stay quite near the main nightlife. But I've heard the best beaches are around a 45 minute bus trip away. Not a big deal, but I really like a daily dip in the sea. So could someone tell me if the sea in this area is pleasant for swimming? What I mean by that is: not rocky, fairly shallow, obviously clean, calm and no jellyfish (ha ha).

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

St Georges Bay is a small man made beach 5 minutes walk from Paceville if you go onto Skyline webcams Malta you will see the beach and several more around Malta they are live webcams so have a look at them in the morning time.

West of England
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Thanks, will take a look. It doesn't quite answer my question 'though.

Dublin
Destination Expert
for Valletta
Level Contributor
8,048 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

It will when you look at the webcam.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,898 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

In St. Julians, St. George's is the only beach without swimming from the rocks. It's invariably packed shoulder to shoulder from here on until September.

You can access the sea easily in front of the Cavalieri Hotel via steps. It's deep enough there to avoid touching the bottom.

West of England
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Cheers Zag.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Your best bet is St George's Bay if you want a sandy beach. Area near Cavalieri hotel has building work going on so don't think you can use that area.

It will depend on where you are actually staying but there are 3 or 4 waterpolo clubs in the ST Julian's/Sliema area and though you will swim off the rocks, they will have facilities, so easy access in and out of the sea, toilets, showers and bar and restaurant. You will have to pay for admission but it's an option worth knowing about

West of England
Level Contributor
31 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Thanks for that. A sandy beach isn't essential..but a decent swimming area is. Probably a dealbreaker.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

Then either st George's bay or a number of areas along the rocky coast though mostly into deep water. There are one or two shallower areas too

9. Re: Any nearby nice places to swim in sea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Saint Julian's