We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in Malta

Calgary
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
car rental in Malta

We are spending a week in Malta, May,2007.

Do we need to rent a car? We do not mind taking public transit and walking. I noticed most of the car rental agencies only rent mini's, manual, and no air. Thanks, Ellie

Mentioned in this post
1. Re: car rental in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2006, 20:05
Calgary
Level Contributor
12 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental in Malta

Thank you, we are staying at the SAS Radisson at St. Georges Bay.

Thank you for the website, I am thinking we probably will rent a car.

Our plans are to see as much of Malta as we can in one week, so our own transportation would probably be best.

Thanks, Ellie

Mentioned in this post
St. George's Bay
St. George's Bay
1,159 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Malta Europe
Level Contributor
453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental in Malta

enroute car hire even have American Jeeps (not India-made suzuki maruti boy-scout trash) and Audi and Jaguar and Mercedes ..... and cabriolets . go to http://www.wembleys.net/car_hire_fleet.htm

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental in Malta

We have just stayed at the Hilton,Portomaso(St. Julians) which was just superb.

However our hire car (Maruti Jeep) booked through AVIS because both of us have AVIS prefferred (wizard) cards and are BA executive members,which gives upgrades,BA miles and no need to hang around for form filling because AVIS have our details on file (inc AMEX card numbers and driving licence details),Avis also have an office in the Hilton.

Sounds great,but,Avis rep was never there, ignored our AVIS cards and laboriously filled out the rental agreement which afterwards she realised she had no need to do.Insisted on selling us fuel at an inflated price and then handed us a bunch of rusty keys ! which we discovered belonged to a filthy pile of scrap parked in the bowels of the Hilton underground carpark where we had to fiddle in semi darkness to unlock, start and try to keep clean in a wretched vehicle with a huge hole in the floor.This 'jeep' was a vile monster to drive,no power steering and no ABS and therefore you are warned.

Try a maltese company!

Mentioned in this post
Hilton Malta
Hilton Malta
5,141 Reviews
Island of Malta, Malta
Saint Julian's
Saint Julian's
Island of Malta, Malta
cambs england
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental in Malta

Hi if you go DDD's gift shop in paceville its in wilgar street then you can hire a car from them for 7lira per day and they have air conditioning we have just got back from holiday and always hire a car from them. tell them cliff n chris woods sent you and they will look after you well.and they are not mini's they are Ghetz and very good cars. I am looking forward to going to malta next year it will be our 7th year on the trot. the nice thing about driving around malta is you dont have to wait for the bus and can go to places that the bus cant get to.

Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental in Malta

As per GeorgeGB's input. 've vited Malta for many years and this year I thought I would use my Amex Plat/BA Exec/Herts #1Gold and had nothing but trouble with Hertz that does not seem to conform with other Hertz outlets through the world. Just getting ANY car at the airport took over an our and a half and that was with my details on record.

I was treated like an idiot and a liar by them and they tried to rip me off on no less than 3 occasions for the same car hire period. They tried to fob me off with a car that I did not order 6 months in advance trying to add surcharge after surcharge. ( At one stage "tax" on one of the surcharges amounted to more than the surcharge!) Although everything worked out in the end, mainly because of Maltese speaking friends that helped and the pre-printed documents from Hertz International, I dread to think what it would have cost me had I not had those friends to help.

For obvious reason I would advise you not to use Hertz and reading GeorgeGB's post Avis is not that much better. Thank goodness for Eleno. Speaking sense and probably the best solution for your needs. Me I'm using my local supplier in future and forget the grandeur of the 'big name' companies.

Mentioned in this post
london
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental in Malta

Book over the net before you go - you'll get a cheaper rte and the spec you want

8. Re: car rental in Malta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2008, 16:41
Sandhurst Berks
Destination Expert
for Malta, Qawra
Level Contributor
2,029 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental in Malta

Another misleading advertisement from Grandeibra.

Public transport in Malta is not rubbish and this just appears to be an advertisement for a car hire company.

The original postings were 2 years ago much the same as the other threads resurected by Grandeibra.

Mentioned in this post
uk
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: car rental in Malta

make sure you have full insurance cover, whoever you go with.