We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Which Bracknell hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Hello All,

I need some help.

We may be moving to England for a temporary assignment of 1-3 years. The business is located in Bracknell.

We enjoy hiking, but also being able to walk or bike to a town center for food shopping or eating out, library, pubs, etc.

No kids, so school is not an issue.

Knowing the small bit above, what neighborhoods in Bracknell or surrounding areas would you suggest. We do not mind driving 30-45 minutes to work.

On a map it appears Windsor and Reading are close by.

I also saw some cottages on the river for rent, but I didn't see the town listed in which they were located. Is there a river nearby?

Where we live now, in the states, we can hop a train in our village and be in the city in 1/2 hour, so easy access to London would be a plus.

We would be renting on a long term basis. Cottages, townhomes, are what we are thinking initially - however, we have no idea.

I am just beginning to look online, but the TA forums have been a reliable way, for me, to get started. Any pointers or information about the surrounding area/s would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

~jelliclegypsy

39 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
27,458 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Most of Bracknell, although the town has good facilities, is just a boring mass of concrete. Have a look at Wokingham, or perhaps Crowthorne (crowthorne does not have a station though)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Thanks EssexWanderer,

I will start my list with Wokingham:)

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

<<crowthorne does not have a station though)>>

It most certainly does - but not ideal for London though as it's on the Reading - Gatwick line so needs a change to get to London

Essex
Level Contributor
27,458 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Ah right, long time since I have been there! Sorry Crowthorne!

Crowthorne is a nice place to live, jelliclegypsy!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Ok, so with a change of train, how long to London - hour...less...more?

I will investigate Crowthorne -

jelliclegypsy

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Thanks dzug1 for the info,

I just googled it and it appears that it is a 15 min. ride Crowthorne to Reading and 1/2 hour ride - Reading to London.

Does that sound about right?

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Warfield is rated as a good place to live, just outside Bracknell Town Centre. It is now a growing community

warfieldparishcouncil.org.uk/dtl/aboutParish…

Also, Binfield - not too far from either Wokingham or Bracknell.

www.binfieldparishcouncil.org.uk

Edited: 19 August 2012, 17:02
Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
1,159 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Also, Maidenhead is worth consideration. Bracknell can be reached by car for work. Many people living in Maidenhead drive to Bracknell each day for work and vice versa.

Maidenhead is on the Main line to Paddington Station, London.

Windsor is not too far away with its Castle etc., Good Shops etc.,

Boulters Lock Area of Maidenhead is on the river Thames. with the riverside town of Cookham, Berkshire. Great walks along the Thames Path.

There is the Greenway and Jubilee River for both walking and Cycling.

I have lived in Maidenhead for 35 years and just love the river and its outdoor activities. I walk the 9 mile Thames Path to Windsor in the summer months and take the bus home.

www.maidenhead.net/about

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
52 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

Pam,

Thank you, I have added all to my list.

A friend of mine suggested Henley-on-Thames, since you mentioned Maidenhead, I wondered if you knew anything about Henley-on-Thames?

Thanks,

~jelliclegypsy

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,781 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!

On the been-there-done-this front....

I initially thought it would be wonderful to live in Windsor and walk or bike to the shops. I even bought and tried out a panier before I left.

I strongly encourage you to reconsider.

Lugging home detergent, milk, bread and eggs in the rain on a bike is a real pain in the neck, especially when you know you must make a return trip for the wine, veg, juice, cereal and whatever else didn't fit in the pannier and over the handlebars. I am a fit person, still bike in the double digits every day, and found it a real drag.

I would recommend Old Windsor, Maidenhead, Cookham, or better yet, Virginia Water (if you can afford it) which is quite leafy and has a convenient train into Waterloo, attached to parking and a parade of shops.

My friends further out--H-o-T, Reading (no), etc had a much more difficult time making a day out of London.

By all means get a book or three on walking and cycling in Surrey, which is a delight.

But get a car.

Reply to: Bracknell Bound - suggestions appreciated!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bracknell
Recent Conversations