We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Relocating to Short Pump

CT
Level Contributor
2,120 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Relocating to Short Pump

Has anyone relocated here and would like to share their experience? We visited relatives recently and they are encouraging us to move in the future. Can anyone comment on the pros and cons? Are there any places to hike or kayak nearby? I really liked that people were more friendly than the East Coast.

4 replies to this topic
Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
92 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Relocating to Short Pump

Prepare for the heaviest traffic in the RVA area. The Short Pump area has all the shopping you could hope for, but it comes at a cost, because that's where so many people shop and are now moving to, as Richmond grows west towards Powhatan and Goochland. The interstates get you anywhere you want to go in the area in 30 minutes or less.

That said, there are hiking trails in the area and if you're willing to drive an hour or two you can hike on the Blue Ridge Parkway. You can kayak all along the James, including the downtown area.

Here's a link to one of the outfitters that posts a map of their recommended kayaking spots: http://www.riversideoutfitters.net/

north carolina
Level Contributor
6,552 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Relocating to Short Pump

I don't know, but I recently finished a short story that prominently features Short Pump, so if I become famous you will be glad that you live there.

La Plata, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Relocating to Short Pump

Starfish, this forum is intended for visitors. For relocation advice, you will have much better luck clicking on this other forum http://www.city-data.com/forum/richmond

Edited: 27 May 2014, 04:25
Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Relocating to Short Pump

I just replied to your other post; we are also originally from the NE and love it in VA.

Reply to: Relocating to Short Pump
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Short Pump