We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Is it necessary to rent a car in Maria Alm as I plan to travel by train or bus to most locations. I am spending the week before Christmas and I am from New Orleans where there is no snow therefore I perfer not to drive. I have stayed at Zell Am See for the last two years where there is a train station, so how hard is it to get to a train station without personal transportation? Should I consider moving my stay over to Saalfelden? Any thoughts?

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Maria Alm is 4km from Saalfelden, a train station on the way to Zell am See. There are frequent public busses from Maria Alm to Saalfelden. You don't need a car or move to Saalfelden. Maria Alm is very charming and compact, so you can walk to anywhere within the village. No need to

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Sorry, the "no need to" phrase got left after I finished.

maria alm
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

how to get to maria alm by train from munich

maria alm
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

time table for buses from sallfelden to maria alm

New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

I ended up renting a car which I was glad I did because by car to Salzburg which was about an 1 !/2 compared to the train which was about 3 hours. The train station is in Saalfreden and along way from maria Alm so you would have to take public transportation back to Maria Alm. it is a tiny village and very limited to anything to do or eat. I drove over to Saalfreden or Zell Am See to eat almost every night. Zell Am See is 10 miles from Maria Alm. Maria Alm is very tiny and very charming but not much there except skiing which I don't enjoy any longer. I have taken the train to Zell Am See many times from Munich and it is very easy. You will have to switch trains I think in Salzburg but they will tell you in Munich when you buy the ticket. I rented a car in Munich which had a GPS and it worked really well for me. It snowed the whole time I was there but they keep the roads plowed and it was very beautiful.

Baton Rouge
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Hi frechquartersandi,

we are "neighbours"......

I live in Baton Rouge, LA and plan to travel to Maria Alm in September, have been in Dienten as a child, am now 63, so i cannot remember much!

I am a seasoned traveller and hiker and plan to do a lot of hiking there and plan to NOT rent a car!

You are not mentioning "hiking", so i wonder, if i picked the right place??

Appreciate input.......

Thanks,

hiker from Baton Rouge

New Orleans, La.
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Hi to Baton Rouge;

Maria Alm is a tiny little village surrounded by mountains. Very charming but not alot there. I did not hike so I can't really say what there is in the way of hiking but since it is a ski and snowboard resort I would think you would have trails to hike on in the area. Germany and Austria are big on outdoor sports. If not, take the train ten miles over to Zell Am See because it is very beautiful and has a larger village and is also big ski resort with lots of trails. When I was on Trip Advisor I seem to remember someone talking about hiking trails in the area. I was there this past December with my son who skis and it was snowing everyday we were there. We actually had a car and just drove around the area and my son preferred ZellAm See to ski than Maria Alm so we basically left early most mornings for a different resort to ski or drove over to Salzburg for the sights. I have to say we spent more time in Zell Am See than in the village. I will alway remember it as a tiny little village with charm but that is just about it. I would not go back again, but if you want a town off the beaten path then this is it. I would go to Trip Advisor and ask if anyone knows about the hiking in the area. If you get a chance take a train over to Berchtesgaden which is a like a national park with lots of sights, a salt mine, lakes, Hitlers eagle nest and lots of hiking trails. it is awsome. Well worth the trip. I will be glad to anwser your questions if I can. Sorry I can't help you more on this one. Oh by the way they ring a village bell to wake up the citizens every morning around 4:00 A.M. and there is no sleeping thru it. Very loud! Great early morning alarm clock but since we were on vacation not appreciated. We still laugh about it. The citizens go to church before school and school starts around 6:00A.M. and is out about 2:00 P.M.

Baton Rouge
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Thanks in NO! This helped a lot!

It seems to be my kind of place, since i like it remote and rather undisturbed!

I have been in Berchtesgaden, very nice indeed,and you are right, quite interesting! For my purpose of hiking and not much sightseeing Maria Alm will be better!

Thanks again........Happy trails!

vienna
Destination Expert
for Lower Austria
Level Contributor
13,600 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

Maria Alm and its nearby sister villages are very nice. Perhaps the above poster unfortunately did not wish to take advantage of the sports offerings of the area. If you look to just tour the sights from there , many places are much more convenient. But as a destination for a sport filled and relaxing time - a good choice.

No need for a car.

Certainly enough places offering good choices of dining too.

Hundreds of kilometers of varied hiking with great views of the Dachstein and more. Many ski lifts run for easy and quick access to higher altitudes.I would review the following website

www.hochkoenig.at

An added bonus if you go in September is the Fall Festivals including the return of the cows from high pasture. with all manner of food offerings too.

Baton Rouge
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation in Maria Alm, Austria

thanks in vienna! Very helpful, i can't wait to get there, will be there September/October, hoping the weather will hold out!

Thanks again

"hiking woman" from Louisiana