We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Which Maria Alm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bridgnorth
4 posts
Save Topic
What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Folkes,

We have the opportunity to go skiing in Maria Alm, (Austria) the week before Christmas. Can any of you good folk tell me the chances of there being any snow around this time of year as I know Maria Alm is of fairly low altiitude.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

In or near Maria Alm, the probability of snow is pretty low. They are better in the Glemtal valley ( Saalbach- Hinterglem) , starting about 15km from Maria Alm; best on the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier (Kaprun) , about 35km from Maria Alm. In fact, there's skiing on the glacier nearly all year round. It's generally easy skiing.

Bridgnorth
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Treplow, thanks for the information.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

For the last 2 years snow came on Nov 19th and was great right through till end of March.

The snow record is excellent in Maria Alm.I have an apartment there.

Not sure the other guy knows what he is talking about.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
190 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

hey Clive ! Thanks for the snow info. What is the nearest train station to Maria Alm ? Would it be better here than at Saalbach?

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Hi Annikins

The nearest train station is Saafelden.What airport are you flying to?

Salzburg is closest about 1 hr drive.Ryanair do flights from £35 return from London Stansted.

Saalbach is bigger,depends what you want.

I would recommend Maria Alm but I am biased.More nightlife in Saalbach.In Maria Alm you have a nightclub,a couple of really lively apre ski bars,dozens of restaurants and a Kareoke bar.

There is plenty of ski ing in the village and a mile up the road is the Aberg area,all reached by free ski bus..Let me know if you want any more info.

Cheers.

Clive

Bridgnorth
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Clive, Thanks for the info. Which is the best lift pass to buy? There seems to be a choice from the info I can find. We are easy intermediate level but we have wheels so can travel if necessary.........PS : do you rent your apartment out in Feb !?

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Depends how much ski ing you do,if you are going to ski all day every day,then a weekly pass is best.But if you are not going to do too much then you can buy a points card,where you save points not used for the next day.

If you are easy/ intermediate you should have plenty to keep you occupied in and around Maria Alm,the free post bus takes you up to the Aberg ski area and beyond,there are some nice runs in the village also.

My apartment is booked all through Feb,but March is still free.

Try Maria Alm,you will love it,not too many Brits either.

Regards.

Clive.

Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Clive,

I'm thinkg of buying an apt. in Maria Alm. I have been trying to contct agents in the UK via maili and phoning but getting not reply. Would you be so kind to answer few questions?

Did you use an agent ? If so where they any good.

Are there any hidden costs in purchasing (apart from monthly charges for refuse & maintenance) ?

What is hte rental like both i summer & winter?

Is the Capital appreciation been good ?

Appreciate you response.

Karl

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Hi Karl,

I used Johan Muzak in Saafelden he is very good and has a website.

You could also try Euroburoltd also Pinzgauer Hause,they both have properties on their websites.

Monthly maintenance and heating costs for my 54 sq m apartment come to around 160 euros a month.

Add around 11% on top of purchase price.

Rental is pretty good in the ski season,quiter during the summer months.

Prices have gone up around 1 or 2 % a year,but you will not make a fortune on property prices.I have been coming to Austria for over 30 years and bought there for love ,not money.

Have noticed more English and Irish people loking around the area recently,which may push prices up.

Any more info let me know.

Clive.

London
Level Contributor
13 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Are The Chances of Snow 16-23 Dec In Maria Alm, Austria

Hi Karl,

I used Johan Muzak in Saafelden he is very good and has a website.

You could also try Euroburoltd also Pinzgauer Hause,they both have properties on their websites.

Monthly maintenance and heating costs for my 54 sq m apartment come to around 160 euros a month.

Add around 11% on top of purchase price.

Rental is pretty good in the ski season,quiter during the summer months.

Prices have gone up around 1 or 2 % a year,but you will not make a fortune on property prices.I have been coming to Austria for over 30 years and bought there for love ,not money.

Have noticed more English and Irish people loking around the area recently,which may push prices up.

Any more info let me know.

Clive.

Get answers to your questions about Maria Alm