We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

War graves

Which Le Touquet – Paris-Plage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
War graves

I'm playing golf in le Touquet next April and one morning I'd like to pay my respects to a war cemetery.are there any that would be possible to visit in an hour or so locally ? Many thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
27,119 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: War graves

http://www.cwgc.org/

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1,842 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: War graves

There are quite a few in the Le Touquet area - Etaples Military Cemetery, with almost 11,000 graves, is only a few minutes drive from Le Touquet on the D940 - is just one example.

Have a look at this site for other Cemeterys throughout France -

www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx…

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: War graves

There are (sadly) very many to choose from within an hour of Le Touquet. For a full list have a look at this site:

www.britishwargraves.co.uk

One of the largest is in Etaples, just a few miles from Le Touquet. It was designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens. See:

…wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89taples_Military_Ce…

Edit: posted at same time as Keith.

Edited: 14 November 2012, 12:12
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: War graves

Thanks for the info

north west england
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: War graves

Just by the by, almost all of the men buried at Etaples and the other cemeteries along this area of the Channel coast died in hospital, being treated for their wounds or for illness. You need to get more inland, or further north along the coast into Belgium to get to cemeteries near what was the front line.

The CWGC website now links its cemeteries to Google maps as in what I hope is this link to Etaples:

maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.53497,1.62468

Edited: 26 May 2013, 20:20
6. Re: War graves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2014, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Le Touquet...
Recent Conversations