We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

Which Le Touquet – Paris-Plage hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Topic
Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

We recently returned from France arriving via Eurotunnel at Folkstone about 10.00am on a Monday Morning.

I needed to get up the Surrey Stretch to get on to M3 to get to Bracknell BUT the M25 was jammed and took for ever ie 4 hours plus.

Does anyone happen to know if there is a better time to book a RETURN on the Eurotunnel in order to have more normal ride home without the M25 Traffic Hassle up to the M3 Brackell.

We would like to go back to France soon but dread the M25 !!!!!!!!

Is there such a thing as a "less busy travel time on the M25" or am I asking the impossible.

Any help on this would be truly appreciated.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

Hi Ken

I think you got unlucky. Was there an accident earlier or M25 closure? Arriving at 10.00 it should have been OK. That said Mondays and Fridays are usually busier and we have that long patch of 50mph around the Clackett Lane services. The M25 only needs one small problem to be horrible but we do that journey often and are usually OK.

Judy

provence
Destination Expert
for Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
2,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

I agree you were just unlucky.

We try and avoid using the M25 in rush hours, Monday mornings, Friday afternoons and any bank holiday afternoons.

Don't let it put you off going back to France.

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

HI Judy

Its really good to hear from you again and thanks to Bouchboy too.

I certainly was unlucky then !!!!

So having heard that, have either of you got any good times to travel BACK UP THE M 25 THEN?

Judy..are you still doing the Le touquet run?

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

On the way out, wherever I am going, I tend to be on the 09.20 train so I leave home at 07.00 - 07.15 because if all goes well Guildford to Tunnel is 80 minutes.

Coming home this year Saturdays at about 17.30 and 19.00. Sunday at 20.00 and I am due back at 16.30 in a few days time. Thinking back I have never arrived back in the morning as if we are that close we just go on and get home. So always early afternoon through to early evening.

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

Thanks Judy , I appreciate that.

You did'nt say...... but on the assumption that you did go to " Tookers" have you found any good restaurants that you can recommend since last time we spoke OR can you recommend anywhere to go that was interesting etc etc.

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

Sorry Ken I have not been to Le Touquet for a few years. I did have a nice lunch in Calais this year on a day trip at Le Channel if you are ever there and wanting to eat.

Other trips this year have been to the Alps, Dusseldorf and to Marseille, Cevennes and the Alps.

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

Wow , that is what I call getting around. Good luck to you and if it was all pleasure , I hope you enjoyed yourself.

Thanks again for the M25 info. I will take your advice and try and arrange our return at Folkstone to be around early afternoon thru to early evening.

Cheers for now and happy travelling.

Best....Ken

Epsom, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

The clockwise/west bound M25 is the worse. We hope to go to Sevenoakes this weekend & although will be travelling late evening on our return journey will use A25 until Godstone then M25. If you are travelling eastwards it is not so bad. However I do know that the road works stretch is slow but keeps moving at about 40/50 mph around 7.30 am.....I have done it several times in the last few months.The Heathrow stretch is also one to avoid at peek times it can be a complete standstill. Travelling after midnight is always a good option!!! Or more realistically travel between 6.00 & 7.00 am before the morning rush hour...even if at a week end as there will be holiday traffic. This is local info!

Sussex, England
Level Contributor
7 posts
253 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

We live just off the M23 and travel by Eurotunnel 3/4 times a year. I think you were unlucky getting jammed at 11am (Folkestone + hour). Both my husband and I used to travel a lot for work. The times I would always avoid the M25 are: Friday evening, Monday morning, earlier than 11am. BTW - all the rats know the rat runs....but the best to Bracknell is probably down the A3 and then the Hogs Back around the back of Farborough.

London, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Travelling to and from Eurotunnel Folkstone

Many thanks to Andrea and Heather . Your advice is taken on board and I much appreciate your input.

Best regards.

Get answers to your questions about Le Touquet...
Recent Conversations