We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Villers-Bretonneux 2014

We are a group of friends (15 to 20) travelling to France in April 2014. We would dearly love to spend Anzac Day at Villers-Bretonneux and would like some suggestions on where we should stay so that we are close to that area. Any ideas will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
74 replies to this topic
Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Hiya ABCD - I'm an exBroomite currently living between France and the UK. I did ANZAC Day last year and loved it, incredibly moving. Pack your jumpers as it's a bit of a weather shock from the tropics to here. Hope you enjoy all of your travels!

ANZAC Day at VB is amazing! It was on my bucket list for years and I'm very glad I finally got there, if I'd been more organized I would go again this year.

There is a lot to see and do and no matter what you chose you won't be disappointed. My three stand out parts are; Villers Brettenoux (museum and school mainly but the town itself will give you tears of sad yet patriotic pride), The Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, and The Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial.

I was also fortunate enough to meet up with Bertrand the day after ANZAC Day for a guided look at the area. He is a lovely man with a welcoming family and definitely knows everything about that section of the Front.

It's a moving ceremony and a beautiful remembrance for those that lost their lives. Not all tears though, you get 5000 Aussies waiting for their buses at the end of the service there are bound to be more than a few laughs!

Any queries let me know (I know in only popping in at the last minute but feel free to sing out).

I hope you all enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Thiepval Memorial
Thiepval Memorial
531 Reviews
Thiepval, France
Somme
Somme
Hauts-de-France, France
Beaumont-Hamel Newfoundland Memorial
Beaumont-Hamel...
434 Reviews
Beaumont-Hamel, France
London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
52. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Hi Christine

Thank you for recommending Spirit of Remembrance! I am proud and honoured to be operating this tour again this year and will be travelling with the group from London to also pay my respects to my great great grandfather who fought at Gallipoli and was awarded the DSO. Although British, I am also have dual nationality and I am very proud of my Australian citizenship, being married to a tru-blu Aussie and Vietnam Veteran to boot!

I look forward to meeting you next month!

Nikki Archer-Waring

Founder and Managing Director

Spirit of Remembrance

www.SpiritofRemembrance.com

battlefield-tours.com.au/html/anzac-day-vill…

Edited: 31 March 2014, 15:05
Mentioned in this post
London
London
England, UK
Gallipoli
Gallipoli
Province of Lecce, Italy
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

I'm so excited, I packed just after Christmas, I check my flight details now daily as Virgin Atlantic have count down till you fly out, the internet is amazing especially street view, it's like I have already been to the locations without the travel.

I just can't wait. When I tell people my plans especially the dawn service they are adding it to their travel list.

Again Spirit of. Remembrance have been really easy to work with, so I am really relaxed about this little adventure but really looking forward to being there at a place that is so important to commemorate the memories of those that served. It's going to be a bit different from a dawn service here in my local area.

Looking forward to meeting you as well

Christine

rockinryoko
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Pack warm. I was there middle of the day in October and the site is high and exposed and the wind was strong and freezing.

Smartraveller sent me an email informing me of arrangements for services - apparently roads will be closed all morning so it seems you'll have to walk from provided parking areas.

I spent one night in Ypres and one in Amiens and managed to cover a lot of ground and see many of the battlefields, monuments and cemeteries in that time so it is possible, though many would want to take it at a more relaxed pace. Very moving. I had a list of guys from my local war memorial to pay my respects to; fortunately all my ancestors had returned alive (though not all the full quid on return The rellies always referred to "poor old George") The Mapping our ANZACs site is amazing for research

Mentioned in this post
Ieper (Ypres)
Ieper (Ypres)
West Flanders Province, Belgium
Amiens
Amiens
Somme, France
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
2 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Hello Bertrand.

I have just found this thread. My wife and I are in our early 50's and will be in the area for Anzac day 2014. Is any part of your offer still available?

Regards

Stuart

Lille, France
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Hi all, I am driving from Lille to VB for ANZAC Day this Friday. I am Australian. If anyone out there in on my way (or even small detour) I am happy to give you a lift, and quite keen to have some company ;-). Just shoot me email at stephen.w4rd|at|yahoo.com.au. Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Lille
Lille
Nord, France
Buderim, Australia
Level Contributor
1,094 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

For an Aussie soldier's description of the attack on VB then the book "To the Last Ridge" by W.H. Downing is recommended.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
79 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

We'll be in VB for the 2015 ceremony. I understand the Memorial opens at 2.00am but the ceremony doesn't start till 5.30am. Can any past attendees give me an idea of how early we should arrive to ensure getting a forward seating position? Thanks

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

We arrived at the memorial at around 3.30am and were seated just behind the VIP section. It's wise to get there very early otherwise you will be situated up the back and there is little protection from the cold. We had a great view of all the proceedings from that position.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
60. Re: Villers-Bretonneux 2014

Bonjour Bertrand,

Regarding your post about the 2013 Dawn Service at Villers-bretonneux, are you still offering accommodation for the 2015 service? If so, has it already been taken by somebody else. If not, my wife and I would ask you to consider having us in your home for this special event.

We have visited France 3 times already, and we were at the 2nd Anzac Dawn Service at Villers-Bretonneux some years ago.

We look forward to receiving your response.

Regards,

Neil Owens

Canberra, Australia

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Reply to: Villers-Bretonneux 2014
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted