We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

I will be studying french at a school in Paris later this summer and I will be placed with a French family. Their house is located in Saint Ouen, right near the Saint Ouen station on the "RER C" train line. I have heard from a few people that the area nearby is not safe, does anyone know about this area? I have the option to switch to a different location but it just means more money. Any input from people who know this area would be greatly appreciated!

9 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

The main part of St Ouen, in fact is very nice. The massive Paris Puces Flea Markets are there, which are quite colourful at the week-ends.

The only place I found there, that I would be wary of, are the zones under the peripherique, at night.

The family that you are staying with should be able to advise you on the less savoury areas and help you with advice on transport, etc, surely?

http://www.st-ouen-tourisme.com/en/

Val-de-Marne, France
Level Contributor
8,649 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

I'll be honest with you, overall Saint-Ouen and the nearby towns on that RER line like Clichy, Gennevilliers are not prime locations and have unsafe parts. I would not feel comfortable taking this RER line alone late at night.

But I suppose the host family lives in a nice little neighborhood and thousands of people live there safely. They will tell you what places to avoid and when. So in short it wouldn't be my favorite place to stay but I wouldn't refuse the opportunity, you'll be able to safely enjoy Paris nonetheless with some added precautions.

(my uncle and cousin are from Saint-Ouen but have moved out)

Kolkata (Calcutta...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

Hi,

I will be visiting Paris on 27th Nov.I have planned to stay at Genneviliiers(11 Rue Claude Bernard

Gennevilliers, Île-de-France 92230 France).I am a little doubtful about the location.Is it totally outside Paris?I have also heard it's not safe.Can somebody kindly guide me if this is the right place to stay for two nights?

Thanks&Regards

Debjani

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,057 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

DebjChak: Try reading reply #2.

This is not a good place to stay for visiting Paris. It is way out into the suburbs, and travelling into Paris would take time and money.

You need to stay actually *in* Paris, which means you need a postal code starting with 75.

Le Bugue, France
Level Contributor
14,097 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

DebjChak, you should start your own thread, but no, this is not a good place to stay for visiting Paris. If you're visiting Paris, you should stay IN Paris.

Essex
Level Contributor
28,415 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

Actually, it is only just outside of the Peripherique and is walking distance from Montmartre (which is only just to the inside of the Peripherique) so miles into the suburbs, it is not.

However, I also agree that if it is your first visit to Paris, staying somewhere more central is better.

St Ouuen has much of interest in it's own right, BUT it is a "blue collar" area with definitely some dodgy bits, so it is an "aquired taste".....

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
253 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

how was it callendergirl?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
3 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

For anybody looking for info whether this is a safe area, let me just update it. Even apart from the current riots, in which e.g. a tourist bus was attacked, tourists robbed and their bus set ablaze, the police has stated that 'this area is well known for crime such as robbery'

Would indeed be very interested to hear callendergirls's experience

Level Contributor
1 post
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?

April 2017: My first trip to Paris and staying here in St. Ouen on a budget trip at Rue du Dr Babinski (a stonethrow away from Peripherique outside of "Paris"). I'd say it's a bit dodgy area, but not bad. Lots of immigrants, some druggies/beggars etc. but I had zero probs during a week here. I actually saw more beggars and felt more unsafe on Champs-Elysees. If you can't handle that, you can't handle Paris :)

Reply to: Is Saint Ouen a safe area?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Saint Ouen