We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why not spend the night in Jerez?

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
804 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Why not spend the night in Jerez?

I'm STILL trying to figure out where to spend 3 days/2 nights between Arcos, Cadiz, Jerez and I've gotten a number of posts (that I can no longer find) that have said they would not personally spend the nigth in Jerez? Why?

Seems like there are a lot of places to eat, nice hotels, good tapas and even a festival (I'll be there Oct 5th).

Seems people favor Cadiz more. What differences can I expect (of course I know Cadiz is on the water) and why would you vote to stay in Cadiz with day trips Jerez versus staying in Jerez and day trip Cadiz?

Thanks

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,508 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

Jeichmann21:

I have stayed in Jerez two nights to see everything in this city and I enjoyed it. I stayed at the Tryp Hotel, a good 4 star hotel downtown. There are many good hotels in the city. What is good about staying in Jerez is that you do not have to worry about driving after going wine tasting.

After Jerez I went to Cadiz for several days and stayed at a hotel there also.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

You would not go wrong at any of the three places. I would pick Jerez because of the festival. The festival will be a alllllday thing, with all of the Spanish people being in the best dress. Wait till you see the kids, you will have so much fun. Good luck. Hubie

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
804 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

thanks so much for the advice. I will check it out now. Are people familiar with the festival - Fiestas de Otono? I read about it in a guide book.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

It is the wine festival, if l am not mistaking. They will have horse shows, flamenco, wine tasting and lots of good food. Went to it twice back in the 60s, what a wonderfull time l had, don't miss it. Hubie

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

For a variety of reasons Cadiz is my personal favorite city in Spain.

However, if there's a festival in Jerez I'd definately base myself in Jerez. Spanish festivals are wonderful - they are a great way to see a part of the culture you normally don't get to experience when you're doing "normal" sightseeing. I'd jump on this opportunity.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
804 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

alas...the festival has made my decision easy! Thank you all for your help.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
804 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

Oh no, the guide book most have been a few years old...I just went on to read about the site and found it will be over before we arrive. :(

Now, I'm back to deciding where to stay...just wanted to update so I was misinforming anyone else about the festival. It's actual Sept 4- Sept 25th.

chicago, IL
Level Contributor
804 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

so now I could either:

1. Granada to Ronda (arrive by noon), spend day, 1 hr 15 minutes drive, overnight in Arcos. Next day drive to Jerez (spend night). Either another day Jerez or Cadiz before having to drive to Sevilla and return car that night.

2. Granada to Ronda (arrive by noon), spend day and night. Next day on to Arcos (stroll around) then Jerez (spend night Jerez). Next day either Jerez or day to cadiz or any of the other small towns Medina Sedonia? and drive up to Sevilla that night.

Really renting car on the morning of Oct 5th and have to return it the evening of Oct 7th. Leaving from Granada and would like to see Ronda, Jerez and anything else that can fit in (arcos, cadiz, medina sedonia, etc).

I thought of leaving Granada, seeing Ronda, driving thru Arcos and ending day in Jerez, but that is 4 1/2 hours of driving and doesn't leave much time to see anythign. I think the first night since we want to see Ronda, we either have to stay in Ronda or Arcos. Right?

Then I think the second night we stay in Jerez (or I guess we could stay in Cadiz)and decide how we want to spend the 3rd day once we are there.

Aggghhhh, you guys are going to kill me - CathyDM, I know I've posted this question in like 3 different ways of the past couple of weeks. :)

Thanks to all!!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,687 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

Jerez is short of money - the bus drivers have not been paid for July and most likely not for this month too. They are fed up and strike is inevitable in my opinion. So spend all your money in Jerez and help the economy.

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,751 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why not spend the night in Jerez?

Oh no, no festival, better just stay home, l will have to re-think this whole thing. You would of loved that festival, don't you hate that, when that happens, LOL. We will get you going again. Hubie