We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Umhlanga Rocks...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Hi there

Any recommendations on how to go about doing a day trip to Jerez mainly to go to the Royal Andalusian School of Equestrian Art and do some sherry tasting. I'm there over a Friday / Saturday / Sunday - are there any days when these places are not open?

I'd have to catch the train or the bus down from Seville and perhaps use a taxi to get around (but expensive for one person).

Alternatively, is there a really good organised tour that does this visit in a day. Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,881 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Have you studied the Real Escuela web site and looked up the times ?

http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm

Train or bus is good. I prefer the train and if you are staying in Seville near the tram or metro you can take it to San Bernardo station to pick up a train going south. These are normally the Media Distancia trains. get time schedules on www.renfe.com

Sherry bodegas are normally open on Fridays and Saturdays. But check with two of the biggest. Sandeman is next to the Real Escuela and Gonzales Byass is close to the old original Moorish castle. See also Top Questions on right side of this page ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Hi, you can get from seville to jerez via train, either from santa justa or san bernardo for approx 9euros each way, it takes about 70minutes.

Check the http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm as the shows are only on certain days, tues and thursdays at 13.00 hours and the price is 20euros, or you can go another day just to see them training for 11euros.

The tio pepe/gonzales byass is open daily, they do a tour in english at 5pm, price varies from 11-19 euros, the most expensive including tapas - which is not worth it, just cheese and a slice of ham.

You should be able to do the horses and the sherry tour on the same day.

have a good trip

Umhlanga Rocks...
Level Contributor
59 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Thanks for all your help. I've booked the 07h55 train down on the Saturday 29th October (they are open on certain Saturdays). I'm doing the equestrian tour at 10h00 (6 €), their show at 12h00 (19 €), and then am booked on the tio pepe/gonzales byass at 17h00 (11 €) without the tapas. Sandeman isn't open on Saturdays.

Any good suggestions on what I can do in the afternoon - perhaps a central place where I can get something to eat and shop, wander, people watch or any other good sites worth seeing?

Question about transport in Jerez: from the station would it be best to catch a taxi to the equestrian school or is there a cheapter bus? From there how do I get to tio pepe? I thinktio pepe is close enough to the station to walk back in the afternoon.

Thanks.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,881 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

You may wish to visit the nearby Museum of Carriages and other horsey paraphernalia and stabling. "Museo del Enganche." http://www.realescuela.org/ing/home.htm

Between Real Escuela and Tio Pepe you could :

Walk into the centre down Calle Larga and find the Gallo Azul which is good for some tapas and refreshment plus people watching. It is at the end of Calle Larga which is pedestrianised shopping street. The tourism people office is in this street on the right as you walk south. This is a picture of the Gallo Azul.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22173183

Of course lunchtime is important in Spain !

if you want a more substantial lunch there are other ideas!

Walk through the old streets of central Jerez via Plaza Plateros and find the Cathedral area. Maybe if you remember to take your swimming costume you could relax at the Arab Hammam and have a soak then a massage taking 1 1/2 ? http://www.hammamandalusi.com/

Or visit the Castle or Alcazar which was the hub of the old Moorish city then later the Christian stronghold.

…wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcazar_of_Jerez_de_la_F…

And the Alcazar is very close to the Tio Pepe visitor entrance.

Newmarket, ON
Level Contributor
19 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Found this post asking EXACTLY what I was looking for, but no one answered the last question: how to get from the train station to the equestrian school/sherry tasting. One difference: there are four of us, a different pricing consideration than with one traveller.

We were considering renting a car, but it is very expensive for one day.

Thanks!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,881 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

This shows a route using a taxi from outside the Jerez station.

http://g.co/maps/tbmdp

Not far at all.Takes around 10 minutes.

But if you walk either to the Real Escuela or back then allow at least 30 minutes. and another few for getting lost !

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Once you are in Jerez itself it is pretty compact and most of the main sites and easy to walk around. People are friendly, we had a great week there... been a bit busy since we got back but intend to write up a trip report in the new year. It was a great centre for exploring the area, and a lovely town in itself.

North Cyprus
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

I would be interested in a trip report of Jerez as we are going there in May.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

See further down the list of posts on this forum. It's a great place! We had a lovely time.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,214 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Jerez from Seville

Here it is: tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g227869-i1288-k5…

If you have any questions do ask, locals are very helpful!

Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera