We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar to Jerez

Blackpool
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Gibraltar to Jerez

Mu husband and I are looking at a short winter break to Jerez and it looks like flying into Gibraltar seems to be the best option.

Can you tell me the best and quickest way of getting from Gibraltar to Jerez.

Thanks

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Presume that you are not renting a car ? If this is correct you can take a local bus around the bay to Algeciras and then take one of the LINESUR buses that go to Jerez. For La Linea to Algeciras bus look at : http://www.ctmcg.es/lineas-y-horarios.php

and for LINESUR look at : www.activagest.com/linesur/horarios.htm

click on Algeciras.

Or look at services run by "COMES" from La Linea to Seville: http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_33.htm

Blackpool
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Thanks very much for your help on this.

I am not overly concerned about the timings getting from Gibraltar to Jerez as I'm sure we'll be fine with that as we are hoping to arrive into Gibraltar around lunchtime

I am more concerned about the return trip from Jerez to Gibraltar in time for our flight. Are you able to give me an idea of how long we need to give ourselves for this transfer

Also one other question for you as we have never been to Jerez. We like to stay in the old town when visiting Spanish towns/cities. Are there any hotels in the old town or are all the hotels within easy access on foot ?

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

I presume that you are using buses to get from Jerez to Gibraltar ? If so then can you review the LINESUR times that I gave earlier ?

Plus the times of the local bus transfers from Algeciras to La Linea that I gave earlier?

Some hotels are further to walk from the bus station than others. Also some hotels are more expensive than others.

Am trying to help.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Thanks again for your help - I really do appreciate it

I've been able to establish that the journey time from Gibraltar to Algeciras is about 1/2 hour and from there to Jerez is about 1 1/4 hours so we should be fine

I have now looked at some hotels and shortlisted a couple so fingers crossed we can get into one of them

Hopefully we will get to Cadiz too

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Getting to Cadiz from Jerez is easy enough using the trains. You should be aware that there is a local commuter train called Cercanias that stops at different stations on the way. The timetable and fares can be found :

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

a return ticket using Cercanias is about €5

If you use the faster train - either Media Distancia or Avant or Alvia then costs will be more. Media Distancia will be the next expensive.

Alternatively you may use buses. Timetables can be found on the Bay of Cadiz transport web site (in Spanish)

http://www.cmtbc.es/

You can also see on this web the catamaran ferry boat which is a popular method to travel between El Puerto de Santa maria to the old port at Cadiz. It is listed as:

BARCO B-042 Cádiz-El Puerto de Santa María

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
3,178 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

There is an airport at Jerez, presumably no flights that suit you? Seem to recall Ryanair fly in from Stansted.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Ryanair do have flights from Stansted up to 23rd October and then stop for winter.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
99 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Thanks for all your help and advice regarding the buses to and from Jerez.

Our flight out of Gibraltar is 11.35am on a Saturday so we have decided to have 3 nights in Jerez instead of 4 and spend the Friday night in La Linea. It will mean the Saturday morning is somewhat more relaxing than dashing around on buses from Jerez

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,016 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

Yes, there is nothing worse than getting up at 4 in the morning and missing a bus, been there done that, good luck and have fun. Hubie

10. Re: Gibraltar to Jerez

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 03:16
Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera