We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage In the Car

charleston
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Luggage In the Car

Is it safe to leave luggage in the car for the afternoon while at the Equestrian show and a sherry tour?

charleston
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage In the Car

Having read some previous posts on this topic, the question is did the previous posters have private cars or rental cars? I would think the rental cars might be more of a target? We are trying to decide if it's worth the risk to stop at Jerez for the day on the way to Seville.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage In the Car

It is always a rental car that I drive when in Spain (six weeks each year) and I think I am possibly one of the previous posters you are referring to. I did see an article about a rise in crime in Jerez on British TV news last week but I hold with my original advice:

1) Lock your vehicle

2) Keep all valuables out of sight.

3) Ensure the back passenger shelf lies flat - no indication of luggage.

4) Use official car parks, many are subterranean and have CCTV and patrol staff.

All of these things I would do routinely at home. Another regular poster suggested removing the car rental company sticker from the window if possible. This I have not been in the habit of doing.

Enjoy your holiday.

Saludos. Lindsay

charleston
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage In the Car

Thank you. What garage would you suggest if we are going to the Equestrian show?

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage In the Car

Sorry I have not been to the Real Escuela yet. It is one of the places I am considering this July or October. I spend two weeks in Chiclana de la Frontera which is a little south of Jerez during July followed by two weeks in Olvera which is one of the inland pueblos blancos. I then spend a further two weeks in Olvera in October. Last summer we came down to Cádiz city for the day when the Tall Ships were in the harbour and I used one of the official subterranean car parks then with no difficulties. I use one in Chiclana regularly when I go to the market for fresh produce. My car sits outside in a car parking strip which has neither CCTV nor staff when I am in Olvera.

I have just taken a look at their website www.realescuela.org I can find no mention of car parking although I can see a limited number of spaces in front of the main entrance, unfortunately these appear to be for staff use.

Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,673 posts
3,656 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage In the Car

seabrooker:

The nearest parking I find:

Aparcamiento Plaza de Mamelón

Calle Sevilla, 1

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage In the Car

Yes that underground car park is good. I usually find a space at the far end from the entrance near the office. There are steps up from this end and it is not too far to walk to the Real Escuela. This map shows the walk from the actual car park entrance to the Real Escuela.

Next door and between the Real Escurela and the Museo del Enganche is Sandmans and they have a sherry tour if you are interested. http://www.sandeman.eu/visitus/jerez/en

Edited: 01 May 2013, 10:19
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,880 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage In the Car

http://goo.gl/maps/RW8ux

This is a Google Map showing walk alternatives from the actual Car Park entrance at Plaza de Mamelón and the entrance to the Real Escuela.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,043 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage In the Car

Thank you, I have taken a note of all of this. Think it will be our October trip when we will visit the Real Escuela.

Saludos. Lindsay

charleston
Level Contributor
13 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage In the Car

Thanks All!!

10. Re: Luggage In the Car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera