We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Out of season trip to Jerez

Which Jerez De La Frontera hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Out of season trip to Jerez

As one who visits Cadiz province at least twice a year, usually staying in Chiclana or city break to Old Town Cadiz, I would like to take a "quicky" weekend break to Jerez out of season in February or March. We normally fly into Gibraltar and then hire a car from La Linea. However this seems crazy when parking is limited in Jerez and apart from the journey from and to the airport we would not need a car. I guess ideally it would be best to fly into Jerez but ofcourse Ryanair dont start their flights until early April so any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated please.

Many thanks Terri

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

¡Hola Terri!

Why didn't you ping your mad Glaswegian friend on Facebook?

Take a look at www.travelsupermarket.com I put in All London Airports to Sevilla for Friday 28 February returning Monday 3rd March. You can go Stansted to Sevilla with Ryanair but it doesn't leave until 6.00 pm arriving Sevilla 9.45 pm for 102.31 GBP plus luggage, etc or a bit dearer but I think better with Easyjet from Gatwick departing 9.30 am arriving 1.15 pm, just in time for lunch. RENFE it down to Jerez. This option is 175.48 GBP.

Don't think you are going to see the horses again without me.

Saludos. Lindsay

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

Friends:

Recently I went by train from Seville to Jerez and was surprised how beautiful the train station was. It turns out that the architect who designed it was Aníbal González, the person who designed the beautiful Plaza de España in Seville.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

I have used all the usual methods to travel to Jerez and Arcos. Often fly into Seville and some timings are just bad for onward travel down to Jerez either by train or bus so overnight in Seville. Have used Gibraltar and taken a local bus around to Algeciras bus station then a Linesur bus direct to Jerez. Once I was early and caught the daily "TG COMES" bus from La Linea to Jerez at 11.30 and it takes some time before reaching Jerez by 14:30 however an interesting route if you have not done it. Often the return flight times are not good for the return bus journey so it may be better to plug in different options ! If having the time you could always take the "COMES" bus at another hour and change at Puerto Real then take the local Cercanias train to Jerez.

http://www.tgcomes.es/horarios_33.htm

renfe.com/viajeros/cercanias/cadiz/index.html

activagest.com/linesur/…jerez.pdf

On a few occasions I have used Madrid airport and used the Jerez - Madrid train having pre bought Promo seat for €25 or less and used the free Cercanias connection from Atocha to Barajas. I would not consider using the Socibus service as would not fit well in a bus seat.

There is a bus between Jerez and Malaga run by Los Amarillos which takes you through some amazing scenery and could be an alternative.

http://samar.es/

But there are other routes like train via Dos Hermanas etc etc.

My idea is to use the journey as part of the holiday (if you have the time) and choose accordingly.

In February/March you have the annual Flamenco festival in Jerez and if you like this it is worth researching the performances and if necessary buy ticket. The more popular shows are well attended especially in the central Villamarta theatre.

Finally if a car rental is inexpensive including all the extras like full/empty or whatever then you can always find street parking in Jerez and take a bus into the centre. Just make sure you choose the best spot near a local bus route. The local bus is shown here with lines :

http://www.autobusesurbanosjerez.es/lineas

you can always use a taxi to return to the car.

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

The car hire seems expensive from Gib so thinking about the train from Seville to Jerez...can anyone suggest how "doable" the following is: Arriving Seville Thursday at 11.25 am and Flight out of Seville on the Sunday is at 10.30 am? Suggestions would be much appreciate before I pull my hair out! Thanks

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

Sorry forgot to mention that I have now changed the dates from February to October! Sorry

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

Gives you two and a half days to do whatever is on the list. See you either Friday or Saturday, whichever suits.

Lindsay

Edited: 14 January 2014, 00:20
London
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

This is a really helpful forum as I too am contemplating a. Out of season trip to Jerez at end of feb. Any further advice gratefully received re travel, accomodation, The flamenco festival and trips to Cadiz for carnival

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

The flamenco festival will have various staged events around the city with larger shows put on at Teatro Villamarta which are well attended so it is advisable to decide on one of these and make a reservation if you want to go along.

www.jerez.es/index.php?id=festival-jerez

There are hotels of varying prices in Jerez. Can get chilly at night.

The train connection with Cadiz is good from Jerez. Either a main line train that stops or the local commuter train that shuttles back and forth called Cercanias. You can see times:

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

Or you have buses between Jerez and Cadiz from bus station alongside rail station. You also have a catamaran ferry running from El Puerto de Santa maria to Cadiz old port.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,383 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

The first Sunday afternoon and evening of the busy Carnival week in Cadiz is when they have the long parade down from the entrance to the city in the new part right along the main street leading to the old city. During the week you can watch the choruses who will perform in the old city as well as join in activities that are put on. The programme for the week is not published until nearer the time.But any time is good and the crowds are large on the Sunday of the grand parade.

http://www.carnavaldecadiz.com/

http://turismo.cadiz.es/

London
Level Contributor
6 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Out of season trip to Jerez

thank you cadiz lover