We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Which Jerez De La Frontera hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Ongoing trip report of our family of 5 from Australia (Myself, Hubby, 18yo son, 16 & 13 yo daughters) exploring Spain and the South of France for 3 weeks in Dec 13/Jan 14. Sorry it’s taken so long to post.

This continues from our last update on the Ronda forum;

tripadvisor.com.au/…5686

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Day 7 - Thursday 2 January 2014

Another 4 hours drive time today as we headed to the sherry capital of Spain, Jerez de la Frontera. After negotiating the 20+ roundabouts just to get into the city (always such fun when you’re driving on the wrong side of the road) our first stop was the Royal Andaluscian School of Equestrian Art (or as the kids called it, the dancing horse show). If you were a horse lover, I’m sure you would have loved every minute, as the training and performance of the horses was impressive. Unfortunately none of us are horse lovers, and the 90min show did seem to drag on. There were definitely some good parts – my favourite being when they’d get a horse to rear on his hind legs and then jump while standing still by bouncing off on his rear legs as well. The rest of the time involved a lot of horses going round in some variation of a circle with their legs stiffly prancing about at odd angles. I made hubby laugh out loud when as the horses were prancing away in what we fervently hoped was their finale I whispered “keep going” as they were heading for the arena exit (as they had a tendency to head toward the exit and then peel off and circle back again).

We had hoped to have time for a quick lunch after the show, but had to motor to our 2pm English tour of Bodegas Tradicion, one of the many sherry producers in Jerez. This one appealed to me because; a. they were actually open (and many of the others are shut in January) and b. they also have an extensive collection of 15-18th Century art works, including some by El Grecco, Goya and “The Surrender of Granada in 1492” by Ortiz which is pretty unique to be able to view in a winery, and wonderful to be able to get up close to. The winery tour was interesting and at the end we tasted 3 sherries and 2 whiskeys. Our favourite sherry was a dark tan in colour with a very rich flavour, I was tempted to purchase until we heard it was €60 a bottle. The premium whiskey however was €260 ($400!) and to my tastebuds was vile, I had the barest of sips and was quickly looking for a cracker to take away the taste.

Hubby decided the secret to coping with the frequently changing speed limits over here is to drive like the Spanish do and just stick to the highest one you’ve seen recently (usually 120kph), ignoring the others. We were home by about 5pm and the girls went for their first training session at this new pool, which is only a 5min walk from our hotel. Another long procedure to get them signed up, 16yo said she was just waiting to see how many things they were doing that contravened their list of rules. They’d barely set foot inside when they were chastised for not having thongs on, apparently no one is allowed to be poolside without them. Somehow they wangled their way through that this time, but we’ll need to get some before the next. They were still not allowed to use flippers, but were told if they have a note of permission it is OK, so we’ll try enquiring about that when signing in tomorrow.

To be continued in the Tangier, Morocco forum, will update link when loaded below

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,162 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Good report!

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Thanks Benny!

The adventure continues in the Tangier forum below;

tripadvisor.com.au/…56871299

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
18,686 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

I agree about the overpriced alcohol on sale at Bodegas Tradicion and not sure who actually painted those masterpieces ! But am still trying to work out where your swimming pool was in January. Presume it was a public indoor pool with all the usual regulations which exist in Europe for these places. My grand daughter has veruccas and reckons it was from her public pool in UK ! Ouch.

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Yes Cadiz lover, we were staying at San Pedro de Alcantera, it was an indoor public pool there, but also encountered some different regulations in the indoor pool we used while in Madrid.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Hello - we are an Aussie family living in Edinburgh and about to have Easter in Madrid/Seville/Granada/Malaga. Your posts are great - do you have a blog where they are all listed or just on TripAdvisor?

Wagga Wagga...
Level Contributor
696 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

Thanks, and sorry no blog, but it is all on TA. Just follow the links or search on my ID. Hope you have a great trip!

8. Re: Trip Report - Family of 5 in Spain/France for 3 weeks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 March 2015, 05:21
Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera