We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

We're going to Seville and taking a number of day trips. I want to do a winery tour in Jerez, and I also want to go to Cadiz. While i don't want to rush a 2-hr-each-way trip to Cadiz, I also don't know if going to the winery tour at 1PM (the earliest we could reasonably get there given our sleep schedules and personalities) and then to Cadiz after the tour would be cramming too much into one day.

On the other hand, I don't know if there will be enough to do in Jerez just with the winery tour (we're not interested in horses!) and will be close to satiation point with cathedrals etc. from our time in Seville. Any points of view most welcome!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
11,018 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

Get to Jerez early, look at the right side of the page and see what is a must see for you. After the wine tour go on to Old Town Cadiz and spend the rest of the day there. You can see both places in a half of a day. Go to the T A web-site of Cadiz and decide what is a must see in Cadiz.

If l had to pick one it would be Cadiz, but both are a very much win-win.

Good luck and have fun. Hubie

England
Level Contributor
63 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

We stayed in Jerez last week and a 1 day trip from Seville would work for me - but I certainly would not try and cram Cadiz in to the same day, which I know you are not suggesting.

Jerez is quite compact. A 10 minute taxi to the centre then a short walk to the Alcazar and the Tio Pepe sherry tour is across the road. Strolling around the old Town will not take that long it's nothing like the size of Seville nor does it have its prosperity or vibrancy but I found it to be an enjoyable visit.

Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
2,972 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

If memory serves me right, Wednesday is market day in Jerez. Perhaps worth seeing. I only passed by when driving to Sanlúcar de Barrameda last October from Olvera for a paddle at the beach.

Saludos. Lindsay

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,522 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

I missed the original post so as it has shown again and maybe its not late would add.

Was in Jerez last week for the excellent Feria and obviously with things going on then a short visit is a waste. So I would say it partly depends on the day and time of year. If in summer then certainly you can fit in a quick look at Jerez and then continue to Cadiz and return to Seville feeling somewhat tired late in the evening! Daylight hours are long in summer and you could expect to take a Media Distancia train from Jerez to Cadiz and this will take only 37 minutes. A small tip. At Jerez station you may also find a local commuter train called Cercanias and this may prove to be a better train although the times do not show up in the main RENFE pages. See

renfe.com/EN/…index.html

This train shuttles between Jerez and Cadiz.

Another plan which may suit you depending on your schedule is to take a taxi from Gonzales Byass bodega down to the catamaran station at El Puerto de Santa Maria in order to catch a ferry over to Cadiz. On a calm sunny day this is quite pleasant as you will cross the Bay of Cadiz and arrive within minutes of the old city area in the port terminal. This is quite near the train station for the return journey home. Times of the catamaran ferry can be found on here but if it is blowing a gale I do not recommend.

siu.cmtbc.es/es/horarios_lineas_tabla.php…

siu.cmtbc.es/docs/pdf/horarios/xlinea_15.pdf

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,699 posts
3,654 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

Neandergal:

I would not try to see Jerez and Cadiz on the same day.

In Jerez try to see the Alcazar, very interesting.

Spain
Destination Expert
for Fes
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

Skip the winery tour in Jerez, and book one in El Puerto de Santa Maria instead. Most Regional trains from Sevilla to Cadiz stop in El Puerto and it's only a few minutes walk from the train station to a couple of interesting sherry cellars. After the winery tour, take the above mentioned catamaran that leaves from the pier in El Puerto to the old downtown of Cadiz. The boat drops you off right where you want to be. You can visit Cadiz for several hours, then get on a Regional train from Cadiz station back to Sevilla. My advice: get an earlier start in the day.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,522 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

One of the best sherry bodegas in El Puerto is at Osborne in Calle Los Moros.

This street runs down to where the catamaran leaves from.

Osborne is a very old name in Spain for sherry and brandy. The outfit was started by Thomas Osborne who hailed from Devon, England in the 18th Century. It is a most interesting company history. They used to have a tour in English at 11am so you won't be able to make that if you are late sleepers.

osborne.es/en/…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

thank you for your replies! We are going to take two separate trips, one to Jerez and one to Cadiz.

9. Re: Enough to do in Jerez/Cadiz for 2 separate day trips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:16
Get answers to your questions about Jerez De La Frontera