We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Only 3 days - Sevilla or Jerez?

Tokyo
4 posts
Save Topic
Only 3 days - Sevilla or Jerez?

Hello. I am going to Spain this November and want to stay in Sevilla or Jerez. I will go to Granada before or after visiting either city. Which city is more recommended to stay when I've got only 3 days?

At first I was leaning towards Jerez but I will be staying over weekends and am worried there won't be little happening and many of the shops and restaurants/bars are closed in Jerez on weekends.

Thanks!!

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
20,785 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Only 3 days - Sevilla or Jerez?

Lynda- I agree with you about Seville being busier etc with more things to do, but for a short trip and with the background of Poru's intentions, I think that Jerez is a great place ! To me, apart from the 'flamenco' you have the general ambience of the place and I especially like the sort of non touristy feel about it. Unlike Seville where you can be surrounded by non Spaniards in certain places! Also in Jerez you have the easy opportunity to go down to the sea. Even if you do not have a car you can take a train or bus to El Puerto de Santa Maria or a bus over to Sanlucar de Barrameda. Also there are good bus connections to Arcos and that town is not too far away and makes a great day trip. So all in all, 'sherry' country and Jerez is my own favourite even though I am going to Seville next week !

Liversedge
Level Contributor
17 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Only 3 days - Sevilla or Jerez?

I am a lover of both Seville and Jerez but for a 3 day trip would recommend Seville you can get he train to Jerez for the day its cheap and only about 45 minutes. There is flamenco in Seville along with so much more would suggest you first take a horse and carriage tour which takes about 45 mins and you will get all the sights pointed out and then you can revisit in depth at your leisure on foot. If you do decide to stay in Jerez and you are there for a Saturday try to visit the Cartuja Monastery where the pure Andalucian horses have been bred since the 12 century as Jerez is as famous for its horses as its flamenco. I you take the train from Jerez to Puerto de Santa Maria you can then take a ferry into Cadiz and then the train back from Cadiz to Jerez.

Makati, Philippines
Level Contributor
249 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Only 3 days - Sevilla or Jerez?

Hello Poru!

Just to say, I completely understand your love for Flamenco.

I just wanted to suggest, if you play the guitar, dance, do cajones or wanna learn how to sing or simply want to soak in the vibe, there is one-week course by Gerardo Nunez and Carmen Cortes held every July in Sanlucar de Barrameda. It is a small cute town by the sea, part of Jerez I believe. The nice thing about the course is that you get to meet fellow afficionados like yourself, whether they're into dance, the cajon or guitar. They organize a fiesta every night of the course, and there is a performance all the nights, spontaneous or otherwise.

I went with a friend who took the course, and I would say, it was definitely worth it, if you like flamenco. Hope you get the chance to do this, or attend one of the festivals!

14. Re: Only 3 days - Sevilla or Jerez?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 August 2009, 13:17