We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating in Lindos (wine too)

Herts
7 posts
Save Topic
Eating in Lindos (wine too)

There's certainly seems to be a huge choice of eating places in Lindos but is it possible to get honest, simple, Greek, locally sourced, home-cooked food? Top 3 suggestions please. Wine - probably more difficult, I've never found a palatable Greek wine, usually too dry. Something that's similar to Pinot Grigio, Chenin Blanc or Shiraz would be fine??? Always prefer to support local people/produce if possible.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Ktima Lindos
££ - £££, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Ambrosia Restaurant
££££, Seafood, Mediterranean, European
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,860 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

Simple, greek, home cooked food not a problem. You'll find many places that offer this but most also offer international cuisine too.

I'd say Maria's definitely suits your requirements, also Kalypso and you'll find more upmarket versions at Arhontiko, Mavrikos and Ambrosia.

As for wines, there are two companies producing wine on Rhodes, Cair and Emery. Cair is normally cheaper but pretty unrefined, Emery wines are much more palatable in my opinion. I'd say closest to Pinot Grigio would be Emery's 'Villare', a really pleasant, easy drinking (too easy!) wine.

Mentioned in this post
Arhontiko
Arhontiko
372 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Mavrikos
Mavrikos
481 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Ambrosia Restaurant
Ambrosia Restaurant
691 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

So many great places to eat, so little time!! Thats what I always think when in Lindos...yes Kalypso and Marias are excellent, also Dinoysos, Stephanys, but there really are sooo many to chose from...you'll have fun trying as many as possible, and you will discover your own favourite(s). As for wine, well the local brew is a lot like paint stripper, and buying a decent bottle with your meal can be a bit expensive, but you'll pay much less from the supermarkets. Marcuschap, I'm making a note of Villare, will be trying it on this years visit!!!

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Kalypso Restaurant
Kalypso Restaurant
1,706 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

many rest. in Lindos still serve frozen meals despite what they stay.As always I recommend Mavrikos for the best food all freshly cooked. People think it is much more expensive but the difference might be 2 quid a head.Arhontiko and Broccolino are also good.

Re wines

We only drink white but have had no prob with Rodos 2400 and also Hatzimichaelis(excuse spelling)

Anyway if wine not good dont be afraid to send it back,it is no surprise to them

Enjoy y our food and drink.John Cork Ireland

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Mavrikos
Mavrikos
481 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Arhontiko
Arhontiko
372 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Broccolino
Broccolino
777 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Rodos Palace
Rodos Palace
2,327 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Herts
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

Thank you everyone for your recommendations - all noted!

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

I'l Palezatto (excuse the spelling), Sinatra's and Maria's for dinner. Giorgio's for lunch. Dino's for late night souvlaki. Sinatra's juliet balcony for the romantic meal for 2 !! mmmm.

Manchester uk
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

ps forgot to mention. You may earn maximum Brownie points foe booking this in advance and surprising your partner........as I did.;)

London
Level Contributor
60 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

I found loads of lovely places to eat in Lindos. I would go for those that dont necessarily pressure you to come in at the door - the good ones dont need it. I do have a special place for Odessia as we had our wedding reception there and the food was delicious. Donbt be afraid to ask the restaurants if the food is locally sourced.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

Is LINDOS White wine still produced in Lindos? I was there as a college student in 1979. Lindos white wine was very good at a reasonable price and tasted mush better than other Greek wines. Lindos wine could only be bought on the island of Rhodes--Not in Athens and it was not allowed to ship Lindos wine to the United States.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos White Hotel and Suites
Lindos White Hotel and...
605 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Norfolk, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

The local wine produced on Rhodes is called calliga.

We never tried the white as we are not white drinkers but the red last year was really good, a full bodied lots of berry flavours well worth a try.

Alex`s restuarant is also worth a try next door to dyonisis they do lovely lobster spaggetti there.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
United States
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Eating in Lindos (wine too)

I found a reference to Li Beach in Pefki, "once Lindos' wine-producing region."

I guess Lindos Wine is not produced now.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece