We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

London, England
Level Contributor
45 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Does Lindos suffer much with Mosquitoes? I'm heading there on Saturday and am not sure whether to buy repellant or not...

I've been told that this time of year is a little early for them but I'm not sure if that's true...

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Eileen

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Hello Eileen

Ask as soon as you get there about the current mosquito situation. You can buy it in Lindos along with a tablet machine if there is a problem.

Don't leave your windows or doors open in the evenings with the lights on & try to keep away from foliage if you are dining outside of tavernas etc.

Better to buy the spray type as you can spray your head as well as any other exposed bits.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi,

We have mosquitos here, they are quite active already, & I'm sure it's the same all around the Med. We always take the precaution of a plug in & some skin protection. Try Boots Soltan aftersun moisturiser with built in Mossie repellant!

Leeds, England
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Eileen

I returned from Lindos last night and we did get some mosquito bites, mainly on the first night when we went out "unprotected". After that we sprayed before going out and were bite-free for the rest of the week! So I'd suggest that you get some repellant - ours was Autan and this was effective.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,180 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi,

Here are some tips from the Sharm forum; have to say that Vit B1 works for me (I don't drink, so alcohol can't lessen its effect) & I've had 7 much more comfortable hols since taking it! I still get the odd tiny bite, but no need to call a Dr & I don't have the "golf ball" swellings on my limbs:

MOSQUITOES- Take Vit B pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol. Some people say take yeast pills instead. Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho. Some say get DEET from Boots. Take a room plug in. If a real mozzie problem occurs in your room, ask reception to spray it when cleaning. You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £3 each). Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

Regards

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

I'm one of the lucky people who don't react to mozzie bites, but my wife is exactly the opposite, reacting very badly. She starts taking the vitamin B compound tablets about 2 weeks before travel and anti-histamines 4 days or so before travel. She certainly reacts far less badly to bites with that combination.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,248 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitoes

Another tip from someone who lives in Greece & has this problem all the time, keep a tube of Savlon in the fridge & apply a small amount asap if you do get bitten, it really does reduce the reaction 99% of the time!

toronto
Level Contributor
251 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitoes

What are the bugs like at the beginning of October...I'm generally ok but they luv my husband!

Thanks

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi

We came back from a lovely week in Lindos on Thursday, there were mossie's but not vast amounts and mainly in the evening. I would play safe and take repellent especially if you have children. The best option would be to keep all doors and window's closed at night and you should be ok..Enjoy your holiday..x

uk
Level Contributor
159 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitoes

I used to get bitten everywhere I went until I starting using 2 products from Avon;

Planet Spa dry oil body spray

and Bronze anti-ageing shimmering after sun oil spray.

Both of these are brill, they smell and look gorg and they must keep the bugs away (touch wood!) It saves packing aftersun and moisturiser too, although I must admit the bronze shimmering aftersun oil spray is probably much more suited to women (unless you like a bit of sparkle!)

x

New Mills
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitoes

We always take 'Originals Lemon shower gel', which we buy from either Tesco or Sainsbury's. I presume that the lemon has the same effect as Citronella candles, but I could be wrong. Never really had a problem using that, and as you have to shower before going out it kills two birds with one stone. Smells quite nice too!

Get answers to your questions about Lindos
Recent Conversations