We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire in Rhodes

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire in Rhodes

Hello to one & all

Going to Rhodes for the first time in Sept, so just wondering if anyone knows or can recommend a car rental company, which supplies automatic transmission cars, that can be picked up from the airport. Also is it a fairly easy route to Lindos from Rhodes airport?

Many thanks.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,446 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Not sure who to recommend for an automatic, i normally go back to a manual on hols as there's more of them about.

As for the route it's very easy and well signposted. You turn left out of the airport, follow the signs for Faliraki/Lindos which takes you across the island to the east coast. You turn right onto the main east coast road and stay on that road all the way down to Lindos.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

In past years, I rented automatics from J&D Rent a Car and Rodos Cars. They both delivered the cars to the airport, on time with no problems, and were cheaper than the international chains, such as Hertz, Avis and Budget, that also operate on the island.

Most rent a car companies on Rhodes will have at least one or two automatics in their fleet. Best bet is to research companies on the island and contact them for rates/availability.

As for driving from the airport to Lindos, it's a fairly simple drive on good road all the way...there's a highway that crosses the island from west to east beginning just north of the airport, which terminates at the main north-south highway which will take you all the way to Lindos.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Have been using Galaxy in Rhodes town for abt 8 yrs. very good service with best rates. meet and greet at airport etc. try their website. Drive to Lindos o.k. take a wee while to get used to Greek drivers and all will be o.k.Enjoy John

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Use local car hire rather than Hertz, Avis etc... they are much cheaper. I would recommend Rodos Cars

www.rodoscars.gr They do have automatics. You should be provided with a map of Rhodes with the car.. and its quite a straight route once you get on the main Rhodes Town/Lindos road as others have said.

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Hi,

The afforementioned Rodos Cars have just quoted me 260 euros (circa £208) for 8 days in an automatic Hyundai Getz at the end of June/early July - this price seems to be inclusive of all insurances and I am seriously considering booking. If you were looking for something similar in manual the price would come down quite a bit from this.

My only concern is that I normally drive bigger automatics and am not sure whether the 1.3 engine will be powerfull enough in an automatic to cope with some of the roads I know I will be driving on? However, the car I am looking at as an alternative is nearly twice as much.

Cheers,

Dave.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately you've hit upon the two major drawbacks of renting an automatic anywhere in Greece. The price is far higher than for a comparable vehicle with manual transmission, and the engines are usually in the 1.2-1.4 range...not terribly powerful!

However, having rented such cars in the past, and having driven one all over Rhodes, I can say that you will still be able to get around fairly easily. Speed will be somewhat limited when headed uphill, but overall you shouldn't expect many problems getting around.

Finally, when I had rented with both Rodos Cars and J&D, the car was fully insured and came with a map, A/C, radio/CD player, and was waiting for us at the airport.

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Neo,

The automatic cars we've had the last couple of times in Rhodes have been Hyundai Accents which I think were 1.4s - as you describe, fine on most roads but there are a few of the hills where they struggled a bit and it felt like the engine was going to drop out, hence my concern about a 1.3 automatic.

I've now bitten the bullit and booked a Toyota Prius via Rodos Cars - much more expensive (440 euros for 8 days) but I'm happier that it will cope better and give us a bit more comfort.

Cheers,

Dave.

London
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

Cheers me dears for all the suggestions and they are all extremely useful. I drive a manual,well what used to be called back in the day a "hot hatch", over here so may find it a bit strange driving a lower powered car, due to the automatic transmission, but as long as it gets us from A to B I'm sure it will be fine.

If any of you are off to Rhodes this year have a fabulous time and safe trip.

All the best,

Mary :)

9. Re: Car hire in Rhodes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 10:23