We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Who can remember ..................??

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Who can remember ..................??

I've been going to Lindos regularly for the last 27 years and have many happy memories, particularly back in the 80's. I'm sure some of you will remember:-

Sox old bar - above the donkey station

Launching (Capt.) Takis self built boat from the main beach

Donkey safaries to Pefkos

Filming the Love Boat at the Acrop.

The real Qupi

The notorious villa parties

Billy before he became blind

BBQ's at Haraki with Takis

Manolis (ex Qupi and Xenomania) riding his horse across the main beach

The old dusty track to Pefkos when there were only a handfull of houses there

Jenny May

The main beach with only a dozen or so sun beds

Xenomania taverna

Patric Walker

Rick Wright and Dave Gilmour at Socrates bar

Grumpy Costas with his rusty sun beds on Pallas beach

When Sotiris (Lindos by Night) was thin !!

Anyone else remember the past ??

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,805 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Hi xenomania, all before my discovery of Lindos I'm afraid, but I must say it all sounds very interesting, lol. I'm sure steve1403 will know what you're talking about. Please tell us more if you have the time or inclination!!

Babs

Scotland
Level Contributor
56 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Who can remember ..................??

First time I went was in 1987 and I can remember walking to Pefkos along the dusty track, there was no resort there then. We never made it back until 2002 and noticed a huge difference. Back in October this year really looking forward to it after having been lots of other places in between.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Hi Babs - plenty more stories where they came from !!

Although I remember the 80's with much nostalgia Lindos nowadays still holds a passion for me. Yes it has changed (a lot) but, then again, it hasn't.

The Greeks that I 1st met in 1980/1 are still the same friendly people, the structure of the village is still basically the same (thank goodness for architectural preservation!)and the people that go share one thing in common - a love of Lindos. How many people wake up from their early morning night flight slumbers just to see the first view of the village as the pass Oooh Aaah corner ?? It has to be one of the best views in the World for me.

PS I forgot the following from my list..

Akropolis disco, Faeces disco - before there were clubs

The hold up of the transfer bus by a group of us dressed as Greek bandito's

The time the rest of the World beat Greece up at the football pitch - complete with Bobby Robson's son and Dragan Stoikovic ex Jugoslavia national team playing

When all the transfer buses used to arrive and depart from the main square by Mavrikos

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Who can remember ..................??

So you remember that old dusty road to Pefkos as well Lilolme? And only 1 bar and a cantina on the beach when you got there! The locals used to think people were mad to walk in the heat of the day and I regularly got lifts in the back of pick ups with chickens and snarling dogs.

Did you ever walk the mountaineous route starting on a goat track at the far end of the Krana and coming down right at the top of the tight loops just before the descent into Pefkos ?

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Hi - a bit before my time too (been going for last 14 years) although I have read the book by Willard Manus (American) who wrote about Lindos from the late 60's onwards and a lot of what you mention is in there, so sounds very familiar to me. You probably remember him and his family too.

What an interesting village, when I visit I always imagine it with a very laid back "hippy" feel to it and just wish I could've been around to see how it was then, I was born in the summer of love ('67) and brought up on Pink Floyd and the like, so I must've picked up some vibes from somewhere eh?

P.s. Love Sox's bar for the music.

KSK67

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Hi KSK - never met Willard Manus although I have read the book. By the way, Socrates has always disputed that bit about him and Germaine Greer. He says that's not what happened !

It was very hippyish back in those days - I well remember one evening in Xenomania taverna (on the cliffs opp. Pallas beach) Such a romantic place for a couple but I was there on my own eating, drinking and watching the full moon come up over the Acrop. The first strains of DSOTM were faintly heard on the warm Aegean night and I looked across and Rick Wright, Dave Gilmour and friends were playing a few tables away. Absolutely fantastic.

new forest
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Hey lilolme,

I know it was only a dusty track but to take 15 years to get back from Pefkos is a bit careless.

Didn't you have a torch or something!

Ha Ha - Steve

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
143 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Hi again - what a memory eh? I can picture it and feel the atmosphere just thinking about it (I'm hearing "Breathe".

As for the book, we were once in conversation with a local man who absolutely cursed Manus and got quite angry about what had been written... I suppose you had to be there.

The village has has changed quite a bit even since I started going (but only with more bars and tourists I suppose). But I know what you mean about it not changing at all. Don't know about you but I don't particularly feel like a "tourist" when I go to Lindos although I am on holiday, I sometimes feel like I've gone home.... do you get me ? (A former life maybe..who knows?)

It's funny, this connection certain people have with the village, I'm glad to be one of them and feel priviledged to be so (even if only I know it).

K x

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,341 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Who can remember ..................??

Again a bit before my time but i do remember Akropolis disco, the original Qupi but i think it might have been Faces disco, Faeces just doesn't sound right?!!!

BLUTACK
Level Contributor
52 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Who can remember ..................??

blimey Xenomania i think you have trumped everyone here.With Willard Manus's book very hard to find now perhaps you could write your anecdote's,seems like you have some great material.