We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fave Drink

Essex
Level Contributor
501 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Fave Drink

Further to the favourite food thread can anyone advise me on particular local drinks I should try while I am in Lindos? I have only been to Greece once before (Zakynthos) so don't really have too much experience of the drinks.

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fave Drink

The obvious typical Greek drink is Ouzo, each island tends to have its own wineries and local wines. Also most islands will also have there own brand of firewater, I know I had some once in Rhodes but can't remember what its called, I think it was something like 72% proof!! If you are a larger drinker there's Mythos or Amstel.

Babs

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Fave Drink

"If you are a larger drinker there's Mythos or Amstel"

Deliberate faux-pas Babs ?? LOL !!

My favourite is chilled Lindos tap water sitting on abalcony overlooking the Pallas and main beaches.

And second favourite is a chilled bottle of retsina whilst having a light lunch at Scala

And for the evening can I recommend ouzo on the rocks topped up with water. Deliciously refreshing after a hard day roasting on Pallas beach

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fave Drink

Oh blimey, yes Retsina, how could I forget that?

God, I blame it all on the hangover I'm still suffering from my birthday celebrations!!

Babs

Preston Lancs
Level Contributor
188 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fave Drink

We were given a fab liquor in Ceasers after a meal, I did write down the name but lost it. It smelt of leaves and was served over ice with a glace cherry. Does any one recognise the description ?

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
218 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fave Drink

----

'My favourite is chilled Lindos tap water sitting on abalcony overlooking the Pallas and main beaches'.

----

Is it drinkable in Lindos ? I really can't remember if we drunk it or got bottled water when we were last there.

Paul.

Rowley Regis...
Level Contributor
105 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fave Drink

hi all my favorite drink is a lovley cold mythos or i love the frappe when i lived in cyprus thier was a liquire called Filfar it tastes like our cointreux but it is very warming as it goes down mmmmmlovley

28 days to go to a lovley cold mythos,my tickets came today so im very excited anyone else off the end of july?yammas Sandy

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,489 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fave Drink

Retsina though not to everybody's taste is worth a try. If you're not keen you could try some of the island's wines (names to look for are Emery or Cair).

If you're a brandy fan then Metaxa is a lovely drink. It comes in various star ratings, the higher the star the smoother it is.

Leicester
Level Contributor
1,278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fave Drink

Marcus,

Metaxa:- 7 star neat, 5 star mixed (and for cooking - I've just used the dregs from last year's supply to make a creamy mushroom sauce - yum!), and 3 star to start the BBQ. :-)

Personal preference is Mythos in a nice iced glass straight from the freezer or an Ouzo over ice - roll on next week!!!

Dave.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Fave Drink

Paul - I've always drunk tap water in Lindos without any skitter problems. Bottled water is readily available though and not too expensive if you want to make sure.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
855 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fave Drink

The local "firewater" on Rhodes is called Souma(similar to raki or tsipouro in the rest of Greece). The village of Siana, on the west coast(near Monolithos) is well known for it's production of Souma.

Get answers to your questions about Lindos
Recent Conversations