We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindos Village Life

Essex
Level Contributor
517 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Lindos Village Life

I've noticed that some of you returners to Lindos have a definite preference for staying in the village itself rather than slighty outside of it where many of the packages go to the hotels.

I know when I go to France I tend to rent very simple places and live much as the villagers do. Joining in the local summer fetes and using the small local shops etc. What do you find is the attraction for you to a village stay in Lindos? Do you feel that those slightly outside of Lindos miss out on something and if so what?

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindos Village Life

Hi Buzziewine

Staying in Krana, just outside the village, where the hotels are is fine. Many people enjoy the use of a swimming pool.

For me the main attraction of staying in the village is mornings between, say 7-10am, before the excursion coaches arrive from Rhodes Town. Either brekkie on your balcony overlooking the bay or rolling out of bed for a slow bleary eyed wander through the village for toast & coffee on Yannis Bar terrace is hard to beat. Kalimera to all the locals on their way to work & a wry smile when Mum, Dad & the kids pass by dragging their lilos on the way to the beach. And then the Germans in their itty bitty denim shorts & sandals with black socks desperately looking for the non-existent exchange office that doesn't charge commission. Oh & Yanni showing up on his scooter looking, unbelievably, more miserable than the day before. Ring any bells anyone ? Ahh! the joys of people watching ! Best enjoyed in the morning & not available in Krana.

Or brekkie at Rainbird with THAT VIEW.

The rest of the day is the same for all no matter where you're staying IMO.

Cheers

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Yannis Bar
Yannis Bar
418 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Essex
Level Contributor
517 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindos Village Life

Love your descriptions of all the characters. Your Lindos experts should get together and write a sort of unofficial guide. It would be great fun to read.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindos Village Life

I think Eddie has summed it up very succinctly.

However, I beg to disagree on his final comment..... "the rest of the day is the same for all no matter where you're staying IMO"

The reason I disagree is that all the main action is on the beaches - its a bit too, dare I say, boring sitting around a pool all day IMO. As a self confessed people watcher I think that the beach is the way to go. And as for the swimming - well you can swim in a fresh water pool anywhere but swimming in the warm Rhodian sea in September just has to be experienced.

One final thing - and I know Steve will agree - you just can't beat sitting at Papageorge's Med. beach bar as the sun sets behind Krana hill. With some chill out music, an iced glass of Mythos and some good company its very hard to beat.

Essex
Level Contributor
517 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindos Village Life

Great. I'm right on the beach in Avra in the last 10 days of October so I will look forward to it. The only thinkg is that it's a shame about the shorter days then. Anyone know what time the beachside Taverna's shut at that time of year? Most nights I expect we will be up in the village but it would be really nice to spend an evening with a drink and watching the waves.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindos Village Life

Buzziewine it all depends on how busy they are at the beach bars/tavernas, especially with it being the end of season. Though if you're in before they close then you can pretty much stay as long as you like. I don't know anywhere that has a kicking out time, if you're buying drinks they're open.

I love staying in the village itself and i'd say it has quite a cosy feeling as most of the accommodation is just a handful of rooms sharing an enclosed courtyard. Much of the village accommodation is built within historic houses so some have quirky little fetaures like sala platforms and pebble floors. You open the door into your courtyard and you'll be chatting with fellow guests, you open the door onto the street and within minutes you're conversing with one of the locals. You don't get that feeling of belonging so much up at Krana, beautiful as the properties are they could be anywhere in Greece, if not the world.

I'd also agree with Xeno that those based by the pool are missing out on all the action of the beach. The excited children when they've found a starfish, somebody catching an octopuss and the taverna offering to clean and cook it for them (that's fresh fish!), locals enjoying a game of football or an afternoon swim before they head off to work, i could go on... Oh and the best bit, watching everybody marching off the boat and then after a couple of hours rushing back, while i relax in the knowledge that i've got the rest of the day and the rest of my holiday to enjoy this fabulous location :0)

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
BLUTACK
Level Contributor
52 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindos Village Life

haha like it eddie just imagine how grumpy Yanni would be if he didnt make 1,000,000,000 euros a day !

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1,955 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lindos Village Life

I can't comment on the village as we always stay on Krana thats because that was where we went on our first visit to Lindos in 2004 and fell in love with the place. All I can say we have the best of both worlds as we have magnificant views over St Pauls the Acropolise and the main bay. And we have the choice of pool or beach which we do go to Pallas beach many time during our stay.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Lindos Village Life

Sorry Xen, I didn't make myself clear. What I meant was that the Kranas ( collective noun for those staying above the village ) can avail themselves of the rest of the Lindos delights that you describe but can't partake of the bleary eyed walk to Yannis & that wonderful conversational experience with him :

Eddie : 'Kalimera Yanni'.

Yannis : 'Grunt.' Or if I'm lucky 'What you doing back again ?'

Cheers

Eddie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lindos Village Life

And this marvellous beach with the starfish, excited children and maradonnas is where

down the steep hill to the square turn left and down the hill, the one by the church (st Pauls didnt do it for me but I was only there a week maybe the two weeks we have coming up will allow us to tryin addition to the bleary walk toast and coffee and mythos I wouldny mind the run down the hill for the pleasures

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,813 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lindos Village Life

My favourite beach is Pallas or the small beach, it's the one where most of the boats for daytrippers arrive. If you're nosey/a people watcher like me it's a great little beach! The easiest way from the square is probably to follow the donkeys and when they turn uphill for the Acropolis you carry on downhill to the beach.