We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

As the Tour Operators and Airlines are being strict on excess baggage this year I am again looking at ways to travel lighter, and I think I have just found the smallest travel iron in the world, length 4in, width 2.4 in height with handle 3in, total weight including plug 0.35kg!!! M&S - £5!!!! Just need to find the smallest travel hairdryer now!!!

Babs

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,817 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

I saw that in M&S last time i went to get my euros. At first i thought it was a child's toy!

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

I couldn't believe it when I saw it, just had to buy it, its so cute!!!

Babs

Beaumont, Texas USA
Level Contributor
1,607 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

RE: tiny travel iron

I took one about that size on a previous trip, and I want to warn you -- because of the small "footprint" and light weight, these irons do NOT do a very good job! The last couple of trips, I packed a bottle of spray wrinkle relaxer instead, and that did the trick! It freshens clothing as well with a light non-perfumey scent.

Here's the one we have in the USA:

downy.com/en-US/…downy-wrinkle-releaser.jspx

I am sure there are similar products available everywhere. I've also seen them advertised in 2-oz. travel size bottles.

I am lucky enough to have access to relatives' homes and laundry facilities, so borrowed their irons on the few occasions I needed a "real" one. It looks to me that you've had lots of past trips to Greece, and I'm sure you've met someone who'd let you come to their house to iron a couple of items!

Happy Travels!

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Kamloops, BC...
Level Contributor
9,743 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

Hi -

Since the locals don't care about your appearance as long as you're clean and tidy, I suggest that you get a wash and wear haircut - men say they only like long hair, but mine's been choirboy short and down to my ankles and everything in between and I've noticed no difference in male response. I think they say it because they've heard it was the thing to say.

Additionally, explore the beneficial effects of the shower where wrinkled clothing is concerned. Between the shower and packing with cheap tissue paper, your clothing should be quite presentable without wasting expensive vacation time ironing. The tissue paper trick is one that ladies' maids have known forever. Why shouldn't you look (and perhaps feel) rich when you unpack your bags?

London
Level Contributor
75 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

Babs

you could always sport my hairstyle!

Roy

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

Or mine ! Its the "pulled through a hedge backwards" style. My hairdresser says the cool phrase is "surfer dude"

BTW, the best recommendation I can make re. lighter luggage is to forget that travel iron. Who cares about a few creases ??

And the next bit of advice is to lay all your clothes on the bed and be ruthless and remove half of the clothes. You can always get a service wash after the 1st week at the Lindos laundrette.

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

If I was you Babs... I would ditch the iron.

When you pack to go on holiday, and you have items that may crease, just press them before you go, and put tissue paper in between.

I do this with all my linnens, delicates, and even t-shirts.

Once you arrive you just unpack and hang! I buy the tissue paper off the internet.

Aberdeen
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

I agree with Babs that an iron is necessary. The problem is not so much with clothes creasing "in transit" but being able to take so little to keep within the weight limit, you have to re-wear clothes more often than you might like and ironing them before re-use freshens them up. Babs - could you take a sligthly bigger iron and leave it in Lindos with a local friend who will keep it there for you for next year? We always used to do that but now we are fortunate enough to have an iron provided by our landlady in Lindos!

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

hi, if you you roll your clothes in to a sort of tube shape rather than folding this works and pack them tight against each other so there is less chance of them shifting during travel, then simply un roll when you get ther and you will find you have very little creases. you can also put tissue in between when rolling. works wonders try it beore you go. I have done this for years and never needed an iron

10. Re: Travel accessories for lighter weight luggage

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 13:53