We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Daily Mail on Lindos cats

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Topic
Daily Mail on Lindos cats

This subject has been covered at some length previously on TA but there is some very bad publicity in today's Daily Mail for Lindos & Rhodes regarding the poisoning of cats & the hanging (!) of dogs.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1214960/Remembe…

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
1. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 21 September 2009, 13:41
Birmingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Rhodes
Level Contributor
1,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

Well this post is going to be deleted very quickly or it is going to get many pages of angry feedback. Lets see which one is correct!

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

I have just read your link from the dailymail although I had heard before that they cull the cats at the end of the season when you read it it's very disturbing. I am one of those tourists that feed them I also buy carrots for the donkeys on my way back up to our apartment. I will be there in just over 2 weeks time and I will still be feeding them.

Lyn

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

Sadly, this isn't news. It goes on all over Greece - on Kefalonia earlier this year I heard someone who'd visited last year ask a very nice apartment owner what had happened to the supermarket cats. The evasive answer was simply that they were gone.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
1,373 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

The real Greece should do what us Brits do..... kill the cats with kindness instead of poison, it's a far superiour way to die.

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Essex
Level Contributor
517 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

I run the risk of being absolutely slaughtered here but I just want to try and understand this from a Greek point of view. Many of the islands are small and if the cat population kept on growing would it be manageable? If we all went to visit these places and there were liteally hundreds of them all over the place making a mess,noise etc would we, as tourists, like it and would the islanders find it impossible to live with day to day? At home here in the UK we all have a few cats wandering thorugh our gardens but if the numbers incresed significantly and they caused a nusiance you would problably have the same happening here although we don't like to think we could be that cruel.

I'm not in favour of it. I just wouldn't want to condem the Greek people for something without fully understanding why they feel the need to do it.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

This topic has been covered before, but neutering would go a long way towards easing the problem. The trouble is, who pays? The cats are strays, so no-one cares.

I remember Athens News running a story last year about a number of dead stray dogs found hanged in a wood on Kos.

British & Greek attitudes to cats & dogs are generally so wildly different that I can't see how we could ever agree. But I have to say, the Cats of Greece calendars do seem to be a teeny bit cynical to me. I'd only ever buy one if it was an animal charity fundraiser.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
united kingdom
Level Contributor
377 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

Nuetering would go a long way forward I agree but then there is the funding aspect.

Trouble is they do get use to the tourists feeding them and when they go home they have to fend for themselves too and probably end up dying a slow death of starvation. It is all sad really.

uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

Marathonlady, I think the Mail article refers to a cull, rather than letting nature take it's course.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Daily Mail on Lindos cats

I think that a fair few cats would survive the winter preying on local wildlife but there would still be the over population problem which we all seem to agree needs a neutering programme as the obvious answer. In the UK we are fortunate to have a very active RSPCA & other charities who raise funds for & organise such activities. This seems to be what's lacking in Greece, a viable & active animal welfare charity. There have been previous efforts in Rhodes to set up such a charitable programme but I believe it is now floundering. If anyone has news to the contrary I would be happy to hear it.

If dogs were found hanging from trees or cats found dying in agony on the streets in the UK then the perpetrators of these terrible acts of cruelty would be identified with the help of the RSPCA & prosecuted in the courts.

Must go. Off to feed my cat to death. Luckily there's no law in the UK against such cruelty. Readers of previous threads on this subject will know exactly to which silly post I am referring.

Cheers

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece