We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindos Holiday Report

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
187 reviews
Save Topic
Lindos Holiday Report

For years I've enjoyed all the topics found on the Lindos Forum, especially those of Rockfan, Babs, GB, Marcus, Xeno and Brightongirl etc and I'm responding to Jazzer's request for holiday reports. Here's the first part......

My wife and I holidayed in Lindos between the 4th and 19th of September this year, it was to be my 7th visit since 1983 when I first visited as part of a day trip with my parents aged 12. it had a profound affect on my young mind. Leah and I married at St.Paul's July 09 in front of 32 friends and family and it was Leah's 3rd visit to Rhodes in the last 4 years.

Our Sat night flight from Manchester was delayed for 3 hours resulting in a Strongbow induced 4 hours of unexpectedly restless sleep. This meant that the sun was rising over the acropolis just as we were arriving in Lindos making it a magical start to our holidays. We'd not stayed at Avra apts previously, choosing the views over the beach from Apostalas instead. I've also enjoyed staying at the back of the village, near reception, where the pretty pink flowers shade intimate courtyards but staying near the beach was worthy compromise.

Avra apts were much bigger than expected with the mezzanine level providing a feeling of spaciousness and air. Our wash basin wasn't secure and our shower curtain was a little mouldy but overall we were pleased with our choice of accomodation.

After unpacking quickly we took advantage of having the beach to ourselves, swimming out to a Catamaran gently bobbing in the distance, it was barely 8am and I already felt as though I had returned home. The sparkling waters proved irresistable for most of the day and were only interrupted by our gentle slumber and our Carbonara from the restaurant formerly known as Teo's (I can never remember it's new name).

The last to leave the beach we stocked up on cereal, yogurt and wine from the supermarket near Yanni's before showering. Pre dinner drinks at Lindos by Night were followed by starters of Feta and mains of Lamb enjoyed at Mythos. After a couple more cold ones at The Courtyard watching amusing interpretations of Greek dancing we decorated our faces with nutella rich crepes and worked along the beach back to our room.

Day2 (Mon): With the vicious aircon blasting out artic air the contrast in temperature when we opened the door was immediate, breakfast on the patio in the morning sun with Lindos bay's backdrop to the left - does it get any better? We too noticed that there appears to be more rocks in the shallows this year requiring steady negotiations before stretching out into the Aegean. This year we've planned to stop over in Rhodes Town to enjoy it's cosmopolitan nightlife before catching the morning's ferry to Symi, where we've booked a stop over on the Chorio, but for now it's back to the sun bed with a rich coating of factor 50 and a book to thumb.

After our meal in Alex's we went to Gelo Blu for desert, Leah's cream cake was delicious but my nutella cake was disappointingly a little dry until the yogurt icecream began to soften it as it melted. I'm unsure where we went during the rest of the night as I was fuelled by creamy cocktails. The intention was to stop off at Pals on the way home but I think my eyes' deeper set lines betrayed my tiredness.

Day 3 (Tue): Were my eyes deceiving me or were there a couple of clouds towards Krana behind the mountains? We rose a little later this morning and our early swim was interupted by Kaptain Mike's PA system telling us that our route out of the bay was compromising where he intended to drop anchor - Or something like that! After sounding his horn of his considerably larger vessel we propelled our bodies through the water like panic stricken dolphins, our arms spinning like mental windmills.

Keen to refuel after our nautical adventures, we had kebab and gyros plates at Georgio 2, applying thick layers of the houmus we replaced for tzatziki all over our warm pitta, washed down with milky frappes.

We crawled round the sports bars in the evening watching England beat the Swiss. The village seems much busier than the last couple of years and all the bars had cracking atmospheres, even the overly expensive Museum Bar. We ate at the beautiful Odyssia overlooking the courtyard from a lower terrace as it was especially windy, the service was attentive and the food delicious. The late walk from Bar 404 gave us enough momentum to pinball our way to the nearest crepe shop. I dribbled honey and peanut butter down my tshirt and onto my sandles whilst Leah skilfully ate her banana and nutella crepe as we returned to our apts.

Day 4 (Wed): Our last day on the beach before going to Rhodes and Symi. I was in the village earlier today, buying some milk and audibly tutting at over weight tourist climbing onto the back of donkeys and getting our lunch from the Village Cafe. A few friends were flying over from England today for my mate Steve's 40th, we met them at Georgios before eating at Stefany's - Our favourite restaurant. Leah adores their Bekri Meze starter and Iove the Chicken in Coconut Sauce main as a change from my usual order of Pork or Lamb. After lingering over coffee until midnight we retired early hoping to catch the first bus to Rhodes Town in the morning.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Great report Graham , sounds like you "came to your spiritual home" and had a wonderful time.

birmingham
Level Contributor
775 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Don't stop there I want to hear all about Symi ! What a great post I was almost there with you.

Kate

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Thanks Graham. That's whetted my appetite for Lindos next week !!!

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Totally agree with Kate, was almost there with you and want to hear the rest!

Babs

Newcastle-under-Lyme...
Level Contributor
109 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Fantastic review, you should write a book. Feel like I'm there already!!!! Roll on next Saturday!

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
926 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

hi graham, wow nice one excellent report that certainly answered the call for more reviews,looking forward to next part,your lucky to remember so much lol cheers

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Fantastic report...felt like I was there already!!!, looking forward to going to Lindos in October for the first time (sure it won't be the last judging from comments here), love the Greek Islands, haven't been back to Greece for 8 years, can't wait!!!!!!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Hi, adding on from previous message, I noticed you stayed at Avra...how was it? We are there in October and have booked a 1 bed apartment, so close to beach, can't wait to get snorkelling!!! Jo

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Jazzer. Are you ever sober???

Manchester UK
Level Contributor
428 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lindos Holiday Report

Graham, loving the report. Wish we could go back again before the season ends...I will try and write my report but it'll seem very boring compared to your literary offering...looking forward to the next installment.