We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

hello there everyone.

we are a family of 3 (late 30s early 40s with a 3 year old) and are considering coming to rhodes next year sometime.

we are looking at lindos but we are open to any suggestions on resorts which are most suited for families.

we like to get out and about and are not usually ones to stay in the hotel but a nice hotel is important to us.

the time of year is one of our concerns as we know it can get baking hot in greece so would june or sept be better for us than high season?

not going to hire a car and i understand a lot of hotels are slightly out of town a bit so would a property be better in lindos for us or one of the bigger hotels on the edge. i dont really want to lose facilities for town centre location. we are basically happy chillin in bars or restaurants and meeting folks. we like local places but with a few tourists as well to chat to.

hope someone can come up with some ideas for us as i think its always best to get advice off people who know and love the area.

thanks bob.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Hi

Regarding the weather, Rhodes is considered to be the sunniest in the Greek islands and Lindos itself is one of the hottest places in Europe. With that in mind and with a 3 year old child, late May to early June or mid to late Sept would be perfect for you. Cost wise it would be cheaper also and you would avoid the uncomfortable humidity and heat of July/Aug/early Sept.

Re accommodation, you mention that a hotel is important to you and you like chilling in the village, bars, restaurants etc. Within Lindos village itself, there is only one hotel called Melenos and whilst I haven't stayed there, it is of good quality and you have the advantage of being part of the village atmosphere. Be aware there is no swimming pool at Melenos or anywhere else in the village for that matter, as a historical interest protection order prevents this. However, there are 3 main beaches within 5 to 10 mins downhill stroll from Melenos which are all fantastic.

You have a greater choice of hotel accommodation outside of Lindos village itself. There is an area at the top of the village called Krana which has a variety of hotels which do have swimming pools which I would suggest are mid range hotels, ie not 4 or 5 star etc. Depending on the location of the hotel you choose, they are generally within a 10 to 20 minute walk downhill into Lindos Village itself. A free 15 minute shuttle bus operates from Krana to the village main square and on a lesser frequency to the beach. Please note there is a killer hill involved although you can jump a taxi back up for a few Euros. The advantages up on Krana are naturally the hotel options, swimming pools, however, you do lose out on the unique village atmosphere. You will find that many of us on the forum prefer village accommodation for that very reason, however, it tends to be studios and apartment type accommodation within the village itself. (accommodation on Krana include Lindos View, Lindos Gardens, Lindos Horizon, Lambis and Krana apartments amongst others)

Further afield, approximately 3 ln away from Lindos in Vilcha Bay, there are several 4 or 5 star hotels situated on a mainly shingle beach. You mention you are not hiring a car and therefore you would have to rely on taxis every night to get to and from Lindos village to sample the bars/restaurants and village life. It is not walkable with a 3 year old child. and there is no village atmosphere (hotels include Lindos Mare, amongst about 5 others).

1 to 2 km to the South of Lindos village are 2 top class hotels situated in an area called St Nicholas Bay. Both Aquagrand hotel and Lindos Memories have had fantastic reviews and they are right on their own beach. However, you have the same issues re getting into Lindos village to sample the atmosphere. Your only options are taxi (5 to 7 Euros each way) or the bus facility if going during the day (1 Euro) Once again, I would not recommending walking with a 3 year old child due to the hills involved.

Taking into account everything you have mentioned in your post, I would recommend the Melenos within Lindos village itself as you get the best of all worlds. Failing that, I would suggest a hotel on Krana at the top of the village. I would recommend doing self catering/b & b only due to the fantastic and diverse number restaurants within Lindos village itself (a lot of them being roof top). I think you would regret choosing a half/full board/all inclusive option in the other 4 or 5 star hotels.

WIth regards to activities in Lindos, you have the historical acropolis with fantastic views. There are glass bottom boat rides, pedaloes, scuba diving, snorkelling, the beaches themselves with very gently shelving clear blue water. You have options for trips to historical Rhodes Town by bus or by organised tour and there are other excursions available. There are also a number of fantastic beach tavernas and bars to eat and drink during the day.

Other than Lindos, I would say that Pefkos is very suited to families. It is a purpose built resort with many decent hotels all catering to families. The centre of Pefkos is flat and has a nice beach, some nice restaurants and bars. However, it caters largely towards the British crowd and you will see that English breakfasts and karaoke are prominent fixtures there. Pekfos also has none of the traditional/historical charm of Lindos and you could be at any other typical tourist resort found in Spain/Greece. It is not unique. It is within a 15 minute bus ride from Lindos during the day and a 8 Euro single taxi ride away from Lindos.

There are also a few hotels betwen Pefkos and Lardos such as Palm Bay and Coralli which are situated a 10/15 gentle stroll away from the centre of Pefkos. The Coralli has had many great reviews and the restaurant there is fantastic. I am considering a break there in late April/early May as a change from Lindos as I am back in Lindos later in the year.

Other family resorts include Ixia, Trianda and Rhodes Town in the North of the island.

Hope this helps

Mart

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Cheers mart that was am excellent reply full of information we rhodes virgins need to soak up.

I understand now why all the hotels are out of town due to restrictions. Good in my opinion.

I can live with those taxi prices into town. What are the prices for meals and drinks in general compared to the uk?. We normally spend about a grand a week when we go to Malta which we find places can be very cheap or extreme. JUst a general comparison to the uk is all I need.

I have looked at most of the hotels on Ta and I thought I read somewhere that the Aqua grand was adults only.

I will def look for early June or mid to late Sept to travel. IS the area in full swing then or is it nice and quiet?

Pefkos may be out as we are not that keen on the English breakfast scene lol, although I wont rule it out.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Hi Bob

Great pointers from Mart who knows his way around the area. Just one thing though. The Melenos Hotel is very expensive at c. 250-300+ euros a night & I'm not sure if they have a family room. My impression is that they aim for the upscale adult market. http://www.melenoslindos.com/

Don't confuse it with Melenos Apartments which is not the same property.

Although for those in the know it's possible to eat cheaply in Lindos it's certainly not a cheap resort. There are some fabulous restaurants in the village where you'll have no trouble running up a bill for 80+ euros or more for 2 with wine. But there are also Greek & Italian style fast food places where you can eat well for 5 euros each. Don't be put off by 'fast food'. It's far superior to the UK version.

From reading your posts I think a 5* hotel outside of the village would suit you but don't go AI or half board as you'll miss the joys of evenings in Lindos.

Cheers

Eddie

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Hey Bob

Taking account your latest comments re taxis and no concerns about being outside of the village, I agree with Eddie. A hotel of the 5 star variety may be the best option, ie Lindos Memories or Aquagrand.

Not sure about the Aquarand adults only scenario (never heard of that), check with the website, the only hotel in Lindos which I know is 'adults only' is Lindos Blu in Vilcha Bay.

My best recommendation is definitely doing self catering or b & b at the most. You will enjoy the various restaurants in Lindos village and they are very much child friendly.

Re early June, perfect, not too busy and not too quiet and weather perfect. Same for mid to late September.

Take all the advice you need from everyone

Cheers

Mart

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
944 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

I really think you should reconsider your decision to not rent a car. Renting a car is THE best way to see the island. The island has so much to offer so don't let it go to waste. Lindos is a beautiful place, but for me staying in the old town of Rhodes was the best experience, it had such a great, unique atmosphere. But maybe lindos would be more suitable for a family, if you want a slower more relaxed pace

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Hi - Don't dismiss Pefkos - I have 15 + visits to Lindos under my belt - This year we went to Pefkos with our 2 young kids and had an amazing time.

Yes there is a bit of an English Breakfast scene but you'll also find that's the case in Lindos.

For a great hotel for families with kids look at Lindia Thalassa, Pefki Islands resort and Island Blue - all great locations with pools and close to great bars and restuarants.

Cheers

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

HI there.

The reason for not hiring a car is that we don't really explore too many sites and attractions when we are away. We may do a few trips but we are not that way inclined mostly.

Eddie, I think it was the lindos blu now you mention it which is adults only.

We normally book hotels and flights independently but are looking at packages this time. Do many people use Olympic and do these generally have the most choice?

Eddie, 80 euro is ok by me if the food and atmosphere are good but I can sniff out bargains whilst we are there eh.

Lindos really does sound nice and it sounds like it would be right up our street.

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

HI elnash

I won't dismiss pefkos, I was only messing when I rubbished the English breakfast scene. After all, I am English and I do eat breakfast lol.

I am sure we would enjoy either resort, but I can't bear to be around loud brash brits moaning that their bread ain't warburtons and their beans ain't heinz lol. Etc etc.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Hi Bob

All of the majors, Thomson, First Choice, Thomas Cook & Olympic feature the 5 star hotels around Lindos so I think it's case of choosing the hotel that appeals to you then look for the best deal. There is an over supply of 5* beds in the area & the older ones are struggling to compete so some good deals can be had e.g. Atrium Palace, an older but recently refurbed superb hotel can be booked from £28 per night B&B per person based on 3 in a room. This is booking independently & arranging your own flights although it is also offered as a package by tourops but you'll not get the benefit of the low rates the hotel is giving from them.

Re Pefkos the Full English Breakfast description was a reference to the resort type not to infer that you can't get a FEB in Lindos i.e. Pefkos is purpose built, has no trad Greek atmosphere & doesn't compare to the Lindos vibe in the evening. However as a family resort it ticks most other boxes in the same way that 100's of other resorts do but Lindos is special in a way that Pefkos can never be. But it is cheaper.

8-15 June may be a bad time to go as Lindos hosts a major music festival that I can't mention then & will be rammed full. So 1-8 June might be good as you've got slightly less chance of extreme heat as well.

Edited: 01 November 2010, 19:45
Wirral
Level Contributor
6,427 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: help for first time visit to rhodes (lindos)

Hey

Re Olympic

They only have studio accommodation in Lindos village which is not suitable for your requirements.

On Krana they have Lindos Gardens accommodation.

They also advertise Aquagrand in St Nicholas Bay and Mareblue Lindos Bay Beach Resort in Vilcha Bay.

They also have Pefkos hotel accommodation such as Finas Hotel, Thalia Hotel, Ilyssion Hotel, Palm Bay, Eleni Apartments.

I have used Olympic many times and have never been let down in any way. and tend to be the cheapest package Rhodes operators.

Other companies such as Thomas Cook, Thompson and Manos cover the Lindos/Pefkos area.

Re Pefkos, as earlier comments have stated, dont dismiss it in any way, as it has good family orientated hotels, good beaches and some very good restaurants and bars.

However, a fair criticism is that in general it does cater towards the Brits and lacks charm, history and originality. After all its a purpose built tourist resort.

It is all subjective and wherever you choose I am sure that your family will enjoy Rhodes.

Cheers

Mart