We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Hi all

Firstly thanks to everyone on the forum for answering my various points, all the info and feedback was really useful.

Well, everyone said we would have a good time and OMG we did! This is without doubt the best Greek resort we have ever been to and we have been to a few, as it has everything...traditional Greek charm, great beaches, views to die for, beautiful architecture and interesting historical sites etc. etc..... all in one place!!! Are we converts? You bet we are!!!

My partner, our 6 year old son & I left rainy, cold, old Gatwick on the 20th October..smooth flight, no problems and arrived late afternoon in Lindos. We missed the torrential downpour of the day(s) before, but could see the damage all too clearly when we arrived at Avra apartments - 2 great channels carved by water onto the main beach, totally dislodged first aid tower next to Panos etc.

We got room no.9 at Avra which was great above Panos taverna, sea views and acropolis view also and a whole large terrace to ourselves for a few days, so we were very happy, bit of water on floor from defrosted fridge but soon got that sorted, apartment had everything we needed, was as described being basic & clean.

Had a bit of job finding a supermarket open when we got there as ones on Pallas and next to Oasis taverna were all shut by the time we arrived (this is where your brilliant map came in useful Babs - we would have been sooooooooo lost without it!!), so ventured into village and bought most stuff from Lindos supermaket (near Yiannis bar I think), seemed to have a good range of food and got the last few bottles of some lovely retsina here by CAIR - Retsina Gold, was a bit gutted when they ran out and I couldn't find anymore!!! Other half bought plentiful supplies of Mythos!!! Back down the hill with the shopping, we then staggered back up looking like zombies as major tiredness now setting in and collapsed in the first taverna open which was Oasis. Lovely staff in here, food was good and well priced.

Woke up by some lovely sunshine next day and friendly maid Maria, we all spent a brilliant day on the beach swimming, snorkeling and had a bit of a wander over to Pallas beach. Went to Olympic welcome meet and sunk a few Mythos/Alfa (lemonade for little boy!) at Lindian House bar - very friendly staff, now starting to really relax!! Then it was off back down the hill for dinner at Nefelis taverna next door on main beach to take advantage of 10% discount for Avra guests. Again, food was good, owners left about 6.30 so let us just eat and drink and take in the view in our own time. Put a very tired son to bed and just chilled out drinking wine & retsina on the terrace whilst looking at the moon and listening to sounds coming from MedEast!!!

Sunday was acropolis day, but not before we did a morning on the beach, again Babs' map came to the rescue as we navigated-by- bar along the streets up to the acropolis!!! Our son gave us heart attacks running around it, the drops are absolutely sheer!!! Made a lot of Germans laugh on a tour as he insisted on wearing a gold crown round the acropolis shouting that he was Henry VIII!! Then it was back down, I slipped up on the pebble mosaic street down from acropolis, not good... so decided to check out Caesars for a drink or 3!!! Pool looked tempting, I wonder how many people go in it?!! Finally had dinner at Kalypso - best food I have ever had in Greece full stop. Really wonderful, will go back...

Another day of sun so made the most of it and yep you guessed it...more swimming etc. Did the hike to Kleobolous which our son thought he would hate but loved it, - found a huge ants nest on the way & saw loads of lizards, were accompanied all the way by a black stray dog who we named Sticky as he always appeared each day with a stick to play with. Our son has got a bit of a fear of dogs but loved Sticky has he never barked and helped us stay on track. Gave him a bit of food at the tomb then he followed us all the way back until he spied some goats and then he was off on the chase!! Free spirit!

Last couple of days were spent chilling out - what a surprise!!!, Had gyros from Mikis one night and a fun filled evening at Mythos where my attempts at speaking Greek were met with some amusement but did get us a couple of free drinks so hey - result!!! Also did the bus ride to Rhodes town with a sprained ankle (fell over on beach after Mythos - enough said!!) hobbled around the gorgeous old town and harbour and had lunch and chatted with a football mad Greek waiter called Savvas about Chelsea for ages!!! Could have shopped for Britain but ran out of ibruprofen so the ankle pain put paid to that!!!

Next day it was back to Blighty on early flight, started to rain on the way to airport. Plane left on time but had an hour of turbulence which started just as the drinks/food trolley came out - so back they went!!! Finally got out of our seats somewhere over Albania.... huge queue for loos!!!

Anyway as Arnie says " I will be back" hopefully to stay at Avra again as we loved the proximity to the beach or possibly Afroditi as we liked the look of those too. Didn't get round to hiring a car but will def do next time as so much more to see.

Will post some photos up when i get a chance

It was fab, see you soon Lindos xx

Jo

Buckinghamshire
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Thank you for your interesting and entertaining review.

Yes Lindos certainly does just what it says on the packet! So pleased to know that you had a great time, we all knew you would.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Hi

Great you had such a fantastic time in Lindos especially at the Avra. I have also stayed at the Aphrodite on a number of occasions and they are also very good, particularly if you book the studios with the shared long balcony right at the front with amazing views. It is so central as well. Other good accommodation in that area is Three Brothers Studios right opposite Aphrodite more or lessI

I think I saw you arrive together with Kelly the Olympic Rep and the 2 UK based Italian girls. I was staying in Room 2 on the Nefeli terrace of the Avra with the sea views on the opposite side to you, so never really got a chance to say hi.

If you ever saw a mad scouser walking up and down the beach early each morning with a pack of dogs in tow, that was me attempting to shake off the mythos over indulgences of the evening before

Great review

Mart

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Jo

Re 'sticky; the dog

What a cool pooch and as you say a free spirit and a great nature. He follows the precarious goat trails up the side of the cliff face on route to the tomb. I was walking back one day and got the fright of my life as 3 goats come bursting over the cliff face towards me out of nowhere, 5 seconds later, the black pooch was in tow haring after them. He recognised me stopped for about 30 seconds for a fuss and then continued legging it towards the tomb after the goats. So funny.

On another occasion he walked up to the village centre with me one evening and sat outside a bar with me whilst I supped a mythos until he got fed up and shot off.

Never found his owner but he has a great life, is healthy and has loads of energy. Some people commented on him being skinny but if you think about it he is on the go all day every day and sometimes of a night to so know wonder he's got the physique of a greyhound

Mart

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
52 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Hi Mart

Oh shame never got a chance to meet ...we thought the 2 Italian girls were the only people on the other side. We did see a man with all the dogs in tow and the dark haired Italian girl kicking a football around for them in the morning. I really liked the dogs as grown up with them etc but my other half is not so keen so had to keep shooing them off, they used to tear along the roof of Panos in the middle of the night chasing the cats ha ha!! Yeah Sticky was a great dog, first night we saw him he approached us with an olive branch(!) & he came up with us to the bus stop when we went to Rhodes and sat with us then sat in the middle of the road going back down into Lindos before get honked at....not a care in the world!!

3 Brothers studios, were those on the same side as MedEast? Think I clocked them...

Anyhow think we might book again to go in September....wouldn't want to go in high season as probably way too hot and busy for us, can't be doing with the handbags at dawn thing over sunbeds etc! and getting stuck in the streets of the village behind all those tours!!!! Autumn looks like a perfect time to go!

Jo

Glasgow
Level Contributor
411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Many, many thanks for your post.

It brought back fabulous memories of my first visit to Lindos many moons ago.

It particularly reminded me, without rhyme or reason, of my first time at Wow Corner. A great initial impression.

Your post made me realise that I've maybe become a wee bit blase over the years about the place.

It's more about the old friends who live there, or I meet there, to me now ... no bad thing ... but I will hopefully now have a (re)fresh look at the village in May and September.

Thanks again,

Danny

Edited: 02 November 2010, 11:44
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3,412 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Great review! The slipping bit did make me chuckle; sorry, but I think everyone's done it at least once even stone cold sober ;-)

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Great review and yet another Lindos convert!! Glad you loved it all so much.

Babs

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,603 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Glad you had such a great time in Lindos. It's always nice to hear from likeminded people that apppreciate the village for what it is.

I'm sure you'll enjoy September. May and September are my favourite months to vist though Sept does have the edge with warmer evenings and more importantly a warmer sea!

uk
Level Contributor
278 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

hi jo, thanks for your report sounds like you all had a good time, look forward to your pics xxx

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,444 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lindos.....ticks all the boxes!!!! Amazing!

Hi Jo

Yep, 'that man walking on the beach each morning with a pack of hounds in tow' was me. No one else was daft enough to do it. The boxer dog would scratch at my door each morning if I was late getting up as he wanted his run and games. The dark haired Italian girl Martha spent hours with the dogs playing footy and feeding them etc.

Re Three Brothers studios, yeah you clocked them ok, Poppy studios are next door to Med East and then the Three Brothers are next, opposite Oasis.

Glad you enjoyed Lindos

Mart