We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ryanair

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
359 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
ryanair

new route Ryanair commencing Stansted/Rhodes on 14 April

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ryanair

Wakey wakey John !

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189449-i342-k42…

Cary NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ryanair

anyone using ryan air needs to read the restrictions very carefully. i flew them from venice to paris...the rates were cheap (or so i thought) until i got to the airport and had to pay almost 200.00 in overweight bag fees (suitcases that were well within the typical weight limits). once we got to 'paris' we discovered that the airport they flew into was very very far from paris, so we incurred some pretty hefty taxi fares to get to where we really needed to go!! lack of research and my own fault...but lesson learned!! just beware!!

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ryanair

You've come out of hibernation early this year Eddie !

Ryanair probably have the most complaints of all the "low cost" airlines. There are even rumours afoot that Michael O'Leary is thinking of making a charge to use the toilets on board. And also doing away with seats and having people standing strapped in for the duration of the flight !!

Don't worry - the latter will never happen

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: ryanair

luv2travelCaryNC - it is well known over here that Ryanair tend to use the more remoter airports with lower landing charges - hence Paris Beauvais rather than Paris Charles de Gaulle, Glasgow Prestwick in preference to the main Glasgow airport, Oslo Torp rather than etc, etc ...............

Also, you will get screwed for excess baggage as you have found out to your cost. If you are travelling as a couple with each person having a luggage limit of 20 kg for instance you can't have 27 kgs in one bag and 13 kgs in the other bag. That is within your 2 x 20 kgs = 40 kgs limit but Ryanair will charge the one bag as being 7 kgs over weight.

You also need to watch size of hand baggage and also weight limits as they are very strict on that. Anything over and it will go in the main hold and you will be charged penalties.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Glasgow
Glasgow
Scotland, UK
Oslo
Oslo
Eastern Norway, Norway
Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: ryanair

Hi Cary

As Xeno says you need to be aware of Ryanair's business practices which we in the UK are as they get quite a lot of negative publicity here. Unfortunately you wouldn't have been forewarned as I assume you are in the USA. I'm not knocking them as if you play their system you can travel very cheaply. We travelled from the UK to Austria a while back for 1p + airport taxes. You can't knock that ! Very good advice from you to do your research & very refreshing to see somebody taking responsibility for their own lack of it.

Not sure how the low cost airlines work in the States but the 2 biggest here, Ryanair & Easyjet, IMO don't do themselves any favours by 'stealing' extra money from us on outrageous credit card charges etc. & attracting bad publicity. I think they'd do better just putting the fares up a little & not giving people such obvious targets to aim at.

Cheers

Eddie

Mentioned in this post
Austria
Austria
Europe
6. Re: ryanair

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 19:16