We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming back

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Coming back

We first visited Lindos in 2006 and enjoyed a day trip to Rhodes town by boat from Lindos . We are returning in August with 2 friends who have not been to Rhodes before. Does anyone know if the boat trip still runs? On our previous visit we stayed at the Lindos Mares hotel so didn’t need to do any shopping. Are there supermarkets in Lindos or just a few mini markets? If minimarkets are there any larger ones in the area? We will have a car and would like to do the weeks shopping in one go.

Phil

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,344 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coming back

Hi Phil,

Well the day trip by boat had stopped but was running again last summer. It was on sale from one of the travel offices in Lindos (though I forget which one) I guess it depends on how last year went as to whether it's running again this summer.

Supermarkets in Lindos are more like mini markets though they do stock fresh fruit and veg. The nearest larger supermarket is in Kalathos. Just head for the Lindos Mare, keep going and you'll see the supermarket on the left before you reach Kalathos centre.

Edited: 17 March 2011, 18:32
Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coming back

Hello. As you turn off the the Rhodes Town to Lindos road for Lardos, there is a large co op supermarket. Prices are reasonable .Next door is a coffee shop which has very nice cream cakes etc

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coming back

Thank you both for you prompt replys. tpebopFaliraki you say “As you turn off the the Rhodes Town to Lindos road for Lardos” I’m confused!!! The last time we were there when we went to the airport and out exploring we always went up to Faliraki then over to the other coast on a dual carriage way I think. Is there a quicker route to Lindos down the west coast then over to Lardos? This time we are thinking of having the car at the airport as I seem to be getting cheaper quotes for 7 days at the airport than for 5 days in Lindos.

Phil

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coming back

Hi whitcop

You're not the only one. tpebop is also getting confused again. The supermarket he is referring to is the same one as Marcus. It's not a Co-op store. It's called Flevaris, an independent company with 2 or 3 large supermarkets on the island. You'll get everything you need there.

Hopefully these directions are clearer. They are from the airport concourse where, presumably, you'll be collecting your car :

"At the stop sign at the T junction turn left on to the dual carriageway. Keep in the right hand lane following signs for Lindos.

At traffic lights keep in the right hand lane onto dual carriageway. After c. 11 klms & having passed through one set of traffic lights, you will reach another set of lights at the T junction with the main Rhodes to Lindos Road. Turn right here.

After c. 34 klms you will pass a sign on the right for the Cybarco villa development, just before Kalathos village. After c. 0.5 you'll see a Shell petrol station on your right as you enter Kalathos. After c. 1 klm. you'll see the right hand turn for Lardos & on this corner is Flevaris Supermarket but probably best to continue straight on to Lindos to get unpacked & then return to Flevaris for your shopping. They're open until c. 9pm.

Handy tip. If any of you get problems with your teeth whilst on holiday there's a very good lady dentist on the 1st floor above the supermarket. Speaks excellent English & is used by most ex pats as well as locals.

Re getting a car at the airport, as opposed to in Lindos, this would save you around £120 taxi fare from the airport to Lindos & return so it's a no brainer really.

Cheers

Eddie

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coming back

Eddie . We were in that supermarket on Sunday. The sign inside the store says its a co op store

Kent
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coming back

Yeah, & there's Morrisons, Sainsburys, Safeway, & also Asda I think, in Falaraki but none of them have anything to do with their UK namesakes & neither does Flevaris in Kalathos. Flevaris is a family owned Rhodian business & the big sign on the main road has the name. Would be a bit difficult to see the Co-op sign inside the shop from the road wouldn't it ? As with your directions, you have to think these things through before posting.

Did you manage to get upstairs ?

London
Level Contributor
780 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Coming back

tpebop do they do stamps at the co-op?..lol

Eddie, how handy to have a dentist above the supermarket, all done in ONE fell swoop!

new forest
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coming back

In an emergency, will my EHC Card cover me for initial (ie pain relieving)dental treatment or do I have to live on Rhodes to avoid having to pay out?

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,172 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coming back

ellagee No stamps at the co op. Which is a pity. Because our bank in the village is a co op bank

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coming back

Thank you all for the information especially Eddie for his detailed instructions. From Google Earth I can see it’s at the junction just up behind the Lindos Royal hotel. We booked last night and made a change, so we are now going to the Lindos Sun which looks great on the website and brochure. This will be HB so the supermarket won’t be so important except for wine and beer!

With regards to the car hire, we’re on a package so a coach transfer is included but when I search for car hire only a few companies seem to deliver or operate in Lindos. So far the best quotes I have are £226 for 5 days in Lindos or £188 for 7 days from the airport but I am waiting for a few local companies to reply to my emails as their web sites didn’t have online reservations (Rodoscars & Exclusively Lindos).

Thanks again and looking forward to the visit.

Phil