We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

I'm visiting Rhodes for a short weekend break so don't really have much time to do everything. Want to spend two days relaxing in the sun, and a full day seeing the main sites.

I'm staying in Lindos and maybe hiring a car.

1) Is it possible to do Acropolis of Lindos in the morning, then the Old Town for the rest of the day?

2) If so, what is the best way of getting around, as even though I may be hiring a car, I've read that parking is a nightmare in Lindos and Old Town.

3) Where do we go for the donkey ride whilst at the Acropolis? Is it better to ride them on the way up or down?

Finally, is there a link to a website to give us opening times and prices?

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Acropolis of Lindos
Acropolis of Lindos
6,741 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

It is possible to do both in a day and even use public transport.

My advice would be to walk up to the Acropolis early morning and have a picnic breakfast outside until the place opens (9am, or possibly even 08:30 ?) There are great views of the main bay and Pallas beach from up there.

It's and easy walk uphill if you are accustomed to walking. I personally wouldn't bother with a donkey but if you need one you can get one at the donkey station in the village square. Donkeys will also be available if you want to go downhill from outside the Acrop.

The advantage of getting there early is that there won't be too many people and you can thus get round quicker.

When you leave, head for the village square and get the free bus from outside Mavrikos up cardiac hill to the Krana. The bus to Rhodes town leaves from outside the mini market. You'll need to check up on times to and from Rhodes - do a www search.

I would envisage you'll have a whole afternoon in the old town before heading back to Lindos on the bus but, if you get a chance, stay for the evening and see the wonderful light show and enjoy an evening in the old town. You would need to get a taxi back to Lindos which could work out expensive if it's only you

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

Bus times

www.travelinfo.gr/rhodes/transportation.htm

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

Acropolis info

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g227884-c119433/Lindo…

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

More up to date Acrop. info.

www.rhodes-lindos.co.uk/lindos-acropolis.htm

Kelso
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

Judging by the taxi prices quoted I think that the bus timetable page may be out of date.

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

Hi,

Xeno's advice is good. As far as bus times go check www.ando.gr but from 16 May the bus times are:

Lindos - Rhodes : 11.30, 12.15, 1300, 1430

Rhodes - Lindos : 16.30, 18.00, 19.30

The fare is 5 euros each way but don't miss the last bus or you're looking at a 65/70 euro taxi fare.

Cheers

DAVE

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

Hi there

if you have three days, of which you want to spend two in the sun, then it's really not worth hiring a car if all it's going to do is sit there all day, unless you want to explore a bit and find some other beaches. Even then, the car will still spend the best part of both days "unused".

It's your call naturally, but with three days, I'd spend one day in Lindos, seeing the Acropolis, then the rest of the day relaxing, the second day in Rhodes Old Town, set off early from Lindos and see as much as you can - if you try to do it in a half day, you'll be clockwatching and as you're unlikely to reach Old Town much before 1pm, you won't get to see anything like all that's on offer, then day three relaxing or doing whatever you want to do.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,357 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

The bus timetable seems to be a lot more limited than when we were there a couple of years ago. We left Lindos around 9am and got a bus back about 3 or 3:30. Maybe there are more buses later in the season.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
UK
Level Contributor
76 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

@ GBfromDevises: Can you elaborate on what there is to see in the Old Town please?

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Acropolis and Old Town in a day?

Hi Keith,

I only quoted the bus times from 11.30 in case they went for the afternoon. There are loads of buses on the website.

PJK - In the Old Town you can visit the Palace of the Grand Masters which is really good (6 euros), The Street of The Knights, The Old Clock Tower and the Grand Mosque. There are loads of shops and tavernas there to have lunch or just a drink. Outside the Old Town there is Mandraki Harbour which is interesting. In the harbour are small boats selling sponges shells etc. There are also the 3 remaining flour mills.

Loads to see and you'll enjoy.

Cheers

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Street of the Knights
Street of the Knights
434 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Mandraki Harbour
Mandraki Harbour
892 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece