We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water?

CHESHIRE
Level Contributor
124 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Water?

This maybe a daft question, can you drink the tap water or do you have to buy bottled water??

Rhodes, Greece
Level Contributor
266 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Water?

hi its perfectly safe to drink the water here, dont waste your money on bottled water unless you actually prefer it

Stamford
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water?

Unless you're on a really tight budget why take the risk and chance spoiling your holiday?

I'm sure the locals will drink it but they will be used to it.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water?

Agree with tricky tree, The water is perfectly safe but contains minerals you may not be used to, It will do no long term harm, but can have an undesirable effect ,if you have a reaction, that can last for several days. If your not sure, play safe.

Glasgow
Level Contributor
411 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water?

I only buy a carry-around bottle on the first day, which I refill with tap water for the rest of the holiday. (Freeze it each night and it's great to carry around, slowly melting and staying fresh)

I've found the tap water to be perfectly safe ... even more natural than ours as it comes from natural underground sources.

There are a lot a minerals, but they don't affect the taste and are probably better for you than fluoride.

24 times in Lindos and no dicky tummy ... but maybe that's just me.

(ps: does anyone really think they use bottled water for ice?)

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water?

Again completely agree,

Most people , including me, have no reaction at all, and small amounts should not be a problem. ice, tea, coffee.

But large amounts can upset some.

And if you are not sure, for a few Euro, is it worth the discomfort.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Water?

As Peppermilly says "dont waste your money on bottled water unless you actually prefer it"

Bottled water is a con. The water in Lindos and Rhodes is lovely and I do exactly the same as Danny - freeze it every night and it keeps cool for most of the day.

oldbury, west...
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water?

Hi there. I asked the same question last year on this forum. Never bought bottled water. As Xeno and Danny says, just freeze the night before and it's perfect for the following day. Enjoy. :-)

Cheers

Denise.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Water?

And ask for a carafe of iced tap water with your meals. Don't be fobbed off with bottled water as there are huge mark ups on it !!

Athens
Level Contributor
18,811 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water?

It's indeed rather personal. Water in Rhodes is A-OK to drink but your body might not be used to it and it might "protest" in various ways.

If you choose to drink bottled water, go for the six-packs of 1,5 litre bottles. They cost anything from 1,25 to 1,50 euros and you can get a couple of smaller bottles to refill if you feel that large bottles are too heavy to carry.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Water?

Hey and welcome DandRcrewe:-) Although you can of course drink the tap water, agree w/Thalia that it 'may' protest;-) Everyone is different..affects folks in different ways..for some it's a non-issue, for others, it can become a pretty uncomfortable one..especially at start;o) Bottom line, you won't know until you try it! Hopefully, you'll be just fine with it..and ENjoY!