We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from Lindos - where next?

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oxford
Level Contributor
42 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Just back from Lindos - where next?

OK - I know many people will ask me why I want to go somewhere else in the first place, but having just got back from my third visit to Lindos, I am wondering - can anyone recommend any other holiday destinations as good as Lindos and worth going to for a change? I have 2 young children - looking for somewhere with beaches as good, food / restaurants as nice, history to interest children etc - either a different Greek destination or any other country. What about any areas of Crete?

Any ideas or will you all tell me to take the family back to Lindos again as it can't be beaten or matched?!

Thanks

Worcestershire...
Level Contributor
1,892 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

We LOVE Lindos and go every year in October but are fortunate to have two holidays a year so we try somewhere different in June this year we went to Skiathos and fell in love with it. Not sure where in skiathos to go with children as our son is grown up and we go on our own. We also loved Kefalonia a few years ago both beautiful islands. I'm sure someone with children will be able to help. If all else fails go to Lindos again !!

Lyn

Edited: 28 August 2011, 17:20
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Hi there

Thing is, Lindos is pretty unique as far as location is concerned so it'll be a job to find somewhere similar. Skala on Kefalonia is a pleasant family resort or you could consider Tigaki on Kos.

As far as Crete's concerned, there are many places to bear in mind. Sissi is pretty and has a picturesque harbour area - might be one place to take a look at.

flickr.com/photos/…

england
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Clivey69, im sorry but nothing does compare if lindos is your place! returning for the 5th time in Sept & ive gave up comparing to other greek islands trouble is i went to Lindos 1st!!!!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
978 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

I dont know about comparable to Lindos because it really is unique, Im a regular visitor there.

The only other place I have felt the need to go back to repeatedly is Olu Deniz in Turkey. Great beaches, reasonable prices but the best bit is there are 3 seperate resorts, Olu itself which is a beach resort, Hisaronu up in the mountains and Fethiye a busy town and harbour. All have their own 'charms' and something different and are easily accesible by the plentiful public transport options

uk
Level Contributor
275 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

i agree with GB, skala in kefalonia is a nice place, long large beach plenty of restaurants, but to be honest i have never been to a Greek island and never liked it,

kos has a lot of historic places to visit , we are going there next year

Vale of Glamorgan...
Level Contributor
219 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Take a look at Parga, mainland Greece, Ionian coast, fly into Preveza.

http://www.greeka.com/epirus/parga/index.htm

London
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Also suggest Parga, on the mainland. Have been to many places in Greece including Lindos, and am returning to Lindos in October this year, but Parga is absolutely beautiful and has a great buzz, one of the best places in Greece IMO. Also Skala in Kefalonia wonderful also. Both these we are returning to next year July and September, but also still looking forward to our second trip to Lindos this October. Have a good look you will not be disappointed.

Manchester
Level Contributor
91 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Hi,

My partner and I love Lesvos, particularly the resort of Petra. It has the same feel as Lindos, it isn't anywhere near as big but still has a nice selection of bars and taverna's and also has the same 'no vehicles' in the village centre rule. We stayed at Niki's studio's which was great, I think you can book them through Manos....would defiantely recommend!

Thanks,

Rhiannon

new forest
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Although Skala is ok I feel that it has more of a Pefkos feel about it as opposed to the Lindos feel you are seeking.

Would love at this point to give you an alternative Linos type option - but in my extensive Greek travels I have yet to find it, although (from word of mouth only) I have quite high hopes for Molyvos when I finally make it there (which is quite close to Petra I believe Rhiannon).

London
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just back from Lindos - where next?

Unfortunately when I went to Lesvos (Petra) a few years back my husband and myself found it far to quiet, only our opinion of course. Going back to Parga it has everything that Lindos has and more, the winding steps up to the castle with bars, restaurants and tavernas leading of little side lanes, and also the wonderful harbour front which runs on for ages, with many tavernas, and bars. Very cosmopolitan, very friendly. Most people we have met there have been returning for many years. It really does have everything, and the local area has so many places to visit with some lovely local beaches. It may be worth just checking it out. If you like Lindos you will certainly love Parga. Hope this helps.