We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

acropolis getting there

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
442 posts
141 reviews
Save Topic
acropolis getting there

will i be able to climb to the acropolis i was last there 22 years ago went up on a donkey im now to big and old to get on a donkey (23stones poor donkey would run away) i walk with a stick if i take it steady might i get there we go 23rd may to 6th june so should not be too hot or can we get other transport to the top will arive lindos by bus from faliraki

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,543 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: acropolis getting there

Dave, the donkey's can carry some weight, but not sure what their limit actually is. I remember the first time I went up on a donkey, I was a good 19.5st and the one I was riding managed ok... If you climb early AM, the climb up will be a lot cooler for you than mid PM, hope this helps :-)

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,343 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: acropolis getting there

No other way up to the Acropolis other than by foot or by donkey. The walk up isn't too bad, if you head up via Captains House the steps are quite gradual. Quite steep, old, stone steps once you're inside though.

If you get there early and take it at your own pace you should be ok.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: acropolis getting there

Yes, the thought of the poor donkey having to carry that kind of weight, is it really fair on the donkey, but then again they dont have a choice! Beasts of Burden they may be but I wish some people would have a heart!

Daffdave, not intended for you because you obviously realise what these poor animals have to put up with.

Thats my opinion anyway, sorry if it may offend some people!

L

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: acropolis getting there

As Marcus said it's not a too steep walk if you go via Captain House...the steep steps are within the acropolis walls and after you would dismount the donkey anyway.

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,160 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: acropolis getting there

We first came to Rhodes 19 years ago.

I have not been to the Acropolis yet

Having seen photos of the Italian restoration its not worth the effort

I just Google Acropolis images from time to time

Wokingham, United...
Level Contributor
363 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: acropolis getting there

Hi Dave,

As Marcus and Btongirl has said, if you take it slowly you should be able to do it. I sometimes just stay at the first level i.e. just near the ship carved in the rocks and the view is still breath taking.

If you choose not to go to the very top don't worry too much. There is something about the whole site that just gets to your soul and makes you feel at peace.

Regards.

x

7. Re: acropolis getting there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 29 April 2012, 19:35
uk
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: acropolis getting there

I've heard there's a whole colony of feral cats at the Acropolis.

Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,343 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: acropolis getting there

It's a shame post 7 was deleted, whilst it may have been a little harsh GB made a valid point.

Personally I would take little notice of Trevor's comments. To judge somewhere you've never seen from photos on Google is very shortsighted to say the least. The Greeks have been working very hard, for many years to correct the original Italian restoration effort. Visit the Acropolis and judge for yourself.

Cheshire, United...
Level Contributor
661 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: acropolis getting there

Definately worth seeing the Acropolis in my opinion, take your time and wear sensible shoes - I did slip a few times on the way up.