We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pune, India
Level Contributor
44 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Hello, my family of 4 are planning a holiday in July for 3 weeks and considering Rhodes. We don't want to hire a car for the whole time so we need to stay somewhere that:

a) we can walk to a village with a centre (ie tavernas, supermarkets, etc)

b) easy access to a nice sandy beach, good for small children

We're going back and forth between Lindos and Haraki.

Any advice as to which one is better for a young family who won't have a car???

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Pefkos !

Stonehouse scotland
Level Contributor
686 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Hi,

We have enjoyed Lindos since the early 90's.

My two girls are now 12 and 8.

The eldest has been going since she was one the youngest since she was 3 months.

I would recommend Lindos rather than Haraki or even Pefkos (I think the beach shelves a bit steeply in places for young kids)

With Lindos you get 2 ultra safe beaches for kids.

Almost every restaurant and bar are geared up to deal with kids- in the past they had these weird "bolt on" high chairs. Service is always good and kids are well catered for.

The pharmacy in Lindos is excellent- if you have small kids you will probably be paying them a visit at some time and they are excellent.

Now my kids want a pool as well as the beach, so we are up in Krana- if your kids are small I would look for an apartment in the village- some even have a bath eg 1 bed apt in Tota!

As for choice Haraki is limited, whereas Lindos has plenty of bars, restaurants, small supermarkets even a butcher and some fruit and veg vans in the square.

Also it is fairly small, safe and with an excellent vibe.

new forest
Level Contributor
622 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

From the requirements you have stated, Lindos 1st choice, Pefkos a not close 2nd choice and Haraki, whilst nice in it's own way, unsuitable for you.

Have stayed in Lindos / Pefkos on numerous occasions and v. close to Haraki also, so objective first hand info.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Whilst I love haraki and it's great to visit for a day or two there is no way I would entertain staying here for three weeks without a car. As already said Haraki is very limited and rem13. Re: Lindos to Kalathos Taxi & Beach

May 27, 2012, 4:56 AM

scaffolder1888, swindon,england, 124 forum posts

Hi,

Thanks for that info Tony,will have a look.

ote without a car for the whole of my holiday. Have to agree Lindos or pefkos as least you would have loads of options and better public transport if you decide to explore the island which I fully recommend if your lucky enough to have three weeks.

Tony

Edited: 30 May 2012, 08:35
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Whilst I love haraki and it's great to visit for a day or two there is no way I would entertain staying here for three weeks without a car.

for the whole of my holiday. Have to agree Lindos or pefkos as least you would have loads of options and better public transport if you decide to explore the island which I fully recommend if your lucky enough to have three weeks.

Tony

Edited: 30 May 2012, 08:40
Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Hi,

As everyone else has said Haraki without a car is really a non starter. There are only 2 buses a day from/to the village centre and it's a good 25 minute walk to the main road. The temperatures in July will be high!

Plenty of good sc apartments above Lindos at Krana. Lindos View, Horizons, Gardens. There's also Lambis Studios and the Athena which all have pools and a bar. I'm currently staying at Lindos Blue Sky Apartments which are superb. No pool or bar but you can use the Athena and other complexes. All have web sites.

Hope this helps

Dave

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

How's the holiday going Dave?

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,706 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Hi Tony,

Good thanks. Weather a bit changeable and has been quite chilly at nights. Going back over to Lardos for the afternoon tomorrow. Coming back Sunday night.

Will email you when I get back.

Cheers

Dave

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,003 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

Cheers Dave. Have a beer for me in Lardos won't be long till I am back there. I Can recommend a great restaurant it's called BoJangles. Hang on you recommended it to me, glad you did food was excellent.

Enjoy

Tony

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Lindos or Haraki in July? With no car

"With Lindos you get 2 ultra safe beaches for kids"

In the main - yes. But I wouldn't say the RH end of Pallas beach (as you face the sea) is good for kids as there are volcanic rocks which are very sharp and close to the surface about 10m out. Great for snorkelling and fish watching though