We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

just a bit of info

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
just a bit of info

saw a piece about Greek holidays in the I newspaper today thought might be of interest. it said that Canada is giving an amber warning to tourists about visiting Greece,and Australia are telling people that riots could break out at a moments notiice!!! They give no thought to how it effects the people and their lively hoods.

Dundee, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: just a bit of info

Was that the two page spread by Simon Calder? I saw that too. He totally rubbished such warnings, and told british visitors to get over to Greece for a good time, which is what I am going to do. I remember years ago going to South Africa and being told that I was insane, as the news reports etc were describing it as a hell hole. I went for 3 weeks and had a ball, fantastic time. I feel if you keep your wits about you, and have common sense, you can go most places and have a good time. I feel far, far safer in Lindos than I do in my home town. I for one am paying no notice to all the news reporting on Greece. Roll on 4 weeks time!

Rich.

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: just a bit of info

Hear hear Rich.

I too have been in South Africa and felt it was more dangerous in Glasgae and Embra' on a Saturday night. Not forgetting Bonnie Dundae of course !!

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: just a bit of info

yes it was simon calder, as you say he was all in favour of going to Greece. I was in Lindos in may an am looking again for september, nothing will stop me from visiting. just thought people would like to hear whats being said. this helps to explain why people arent visiting.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: just a bit of info

Wont stop me either went in May and Im hoping to go again in September too!

L

Cardiff
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: just a bit of info

Just got back from Lardos - talking to the locals two things came across - one, they deffo don't want out of the Euro and two, most importantly for them, they are all very worried about the switch to all inclusive.

Hospitality was great everywhere we went in Lardos and Pefkos - for June pretty quiet tho', even with the huge numbers of Russian visitors.

Dudley, United...
Level Contributor
409 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: just a bit of info

I dont like all this all inclusive, its bad for the bars,gyros and crepe stalls and resturants.

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: just a bit of info

Quite tired of people I know and the media 'doing down' Greece just because of the unfortunate position it finds itself in.

Aside from my own finances, there is nothing that would stop me from returning to Lindos ( or trying other parts of Greece and her Islands) . Personally,I can't see the point of all inclusive hotels in resorts such as Lindos (although I do understand it may seem the best option for some people) .

Best part of my holiday is going out to eat and drink discover new people and places and take it all in. I know some things can be expensive compared with 'the old days' but if everyone used the tavernas and bars that might alter too.

Roll on September.

Kim :)

Edited: 28 June 2012, 15:48
Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
418 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: just a bit of info

Hi all, totally agree with last comment i have no worries about visiting Lindos. Like Kim i love to wander around in the evenings choosing where i want to eat and drink, its all apart of the holiday. Nothing worse than being tied to some hotel!

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,527 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: just a bit of info

Here we go again !

Beverley, East...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: just a bit of info

We have always felt safer in Lindos than in our hometown and had a great time in May. Going back in September and have no concerns whatsoever. Totally agree been to South Africa twice and going back March 2013 no worries. The people in Lindos are lovely happy people especially if you make the effort with them. We did the Hotels while my son was younger but still ate in Lindos every evening. These days we are more than happy with an apartment and no Hotel routine. Quite right it's no longer cheaper to eat/drink out when abroad though. But hey ho when you can sit outside into the night and enjoy the warmth who cares.