We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Independant Travel

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Independant Travel

Can anyone tell me what the best way is to arrange a holiday, by booking everything myself, ie, flights, accomodation etc.

I've read a few posts after doing a search or two, but nothing that jumps out and really grabs my attention, or gives me what I need.

Flights seem pretty straight forward enough, but If I want to book accomodation, how do I find the hotel/apartment with the best rate?

Edited: 29 July 2012, 18:10
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
223 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Independant Travel

Personally I'd use the Olympic Holidays website for the accommodation - usually one of the cheapest solutions. Then something like On The Beach for comparisons on flight prices.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Independant Travel

just curious but doesn't it work out cheaper to have an Olympic package if you're choosing their accommodation?

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Independant Travel

Andy what do you need?

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
11,019 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Independant Travel

try travelrepublic for flights or accomm (or both) and compare, as said above.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
223 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Independant Travel

btongirl: yeah, true :) Ignore everything I said :)

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Independant Travel

Well Jo, I'm booked up with TC for 2 weeks mid August, so this years holiday is already sorted, but at £1200 for s/c, I think it's pretty expensive.

I was hoping to arrange something direct, for May & Sept 13', staying somewhere in the village itself instead of being up in Krana and hopefully cutting the costs with more of my money being spent in the village, instead of being in tour operators pockets.

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Independant Travel

If you want to be in the village most of the owners have their own websites or are on Exclusively Lindos's books I guess you could try negotiating with the owners for a 'better deal' on their going rate but should imagine you would be more likely to get a reduction nearer the time (although I'm pretty sure they have to publish rates to keep the authorites happy) The other difference is more often than not you only pay a deposit and pay the balance on arrival so maybe not such an incentive to get money in the bank early and give a good deal for early booking?? Course I'm not an expert and someone could well chip in and say I'm completely wrong but i'd be inclined to concentrate on getting what you consider to be the 'perfect' little pad maybe somewhere you've always fancied staying when mooching around the village and securing it to fit in with your flight asap

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Independant Travel

www.rhodosdirectholidays.com/default.asp… This place is in a dream position..just along the way from that swanky villa we've been talking about recently...stayed here a couple of times..nothing flashy inside but fantastic bay views

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Independant Travel

http://www.exclusivelylindos.com/index.php

Have a look around in August and see where appeals. You need to sort your flight first anyway..then accommodation..and transfers last

Edited: 29 July 2012, 20:15
Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Independant Travel

I would love to book an independent trip to Lindos as there are so many lovely private studios and apartments etc but it works out twice as expensive as a package unfortunately. The taxi from airport and return is approx €120 which added to flight and accomm adds up, also I travel alone, maybe its not so bad if its shared by a few people.

Hope you find something suitable.