We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Has anyone has problems with overweight luggage or charges this year from Rhodes Airport?

I ask because the Rep said they were being very strick this year, and charging €17 for every kilo overweight. Thing is I also notice the little slip of paper in the welcome booklet that offers booking of extra legroom seats, seats together and and extra 5kg of luggage that can be booked for the reurn flight. Mmmmmn is it just a ploy to get you to purchase this or are they really being very strict!

Babs

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Hi Babs, hope you had a fantastic time...

When we went in August, I was 4kg over at N/cle and was charged £14 a kilo, they did say then that if I was the same on the return flight that I would be charged the same rate.

When we got to Rhodes airport for the return journey, the rep also said that they were being really strict and we would be charged the 17 euro's per kg that you mentioned (£14 per kg).

Needless to say we made sure we were underweight.... just!! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

I can never understand people going to a sunny destination for 1 or 2 weeks and being near or over the 22 Kgs limit. I find that my luggage normally weighs between 10 and 11 kgs and I still have the odd t-shirt or 2 that hasn't been worn.

I've just returned from 5 days in the south of France and didn't bother with hold luggage. My hand luggage for the entire trip weighed in at 2.9 kgs

Mentioned in this post
France
France
Europe
Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

C'mon guys - save the planet and travel light.

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Hi

We have noticed that when we depart from Manchester they have never charged us for being slightly over our allowance (we take items out for friends in Rhodes)

But I know that Rhodes airport makes no such allowances. Last year a group in front of us were over their allowance, and had to go over to another desk, to pay before they were given their boarding passes.

This year departing Rhodes, we weren't even asked to put our hand luggage on the scales. In previous years they have asked us to put them on including the jumpers that we weren't wearing, but would need as soon as we landed.

What I don't understand is, you could go upstairs to the "duty free" airport shop in Rhodes and buy heavy bottles of alcohol and those huge tins of olive oil and take them onto the plane, but they are not included in any luggage weight???

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Xeno... you have'nt met the wife lol.... hair straighteners, hairdryer, tongs and shoes!! dont even get me started!! ;-)

Edited: 13 October 2012, 18:31
Telford, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

we travelled home with thomson in aug and 2 of us were over by 2 kilos each but did not get charged any extra,is this the norm or were we lucky.

southern england
Level Contributor
163 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Sorry Babs but this July we were over by 2 kilos & were charged 24 e before they would check our bags in!! Having queued we were sent away to make payment at another desk & back to the line again was a pain ! Our hand held scales had us as a kilo under as we'll so weren't happy !! That was an easyjet to LGW flight., wasn't so annoyed with the 24 e but more the wasted time.

cumbria
Level Contributor
289 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

I think Flash that you were very lucky.. I have seen people charged for excess luggage time and time again.. And you have no choice but to pay the fine, or maybe get rid of some of the weight...

The reps on the coach do warn you that the airport staff are very vigilant regarding weight!

But most people, unless they have travelled to Rhodes before realise just how strict they are!

Edited: 13 October 2012, 19:56
Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

Yup! I got charged 34 euros for being 2 kilos over on the way back. I wasn't charged on the way over though. I didn't wear half of what I packed anyway as it was so hot so lesson learned :-)

Beverley, East...
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Excess baggage from Rhodes to UK?

When we came back in Sept on a Thompson's flight the people in front of us cases weighed in at 24kg and they seemed to go straight through to the scanner. Although they may have paid for the extra I guess. We didn't have our hand luggage weighed in. We had travelled light with just 1 20kg case between the two of us and still managed to be underweight. Don't need much in Lindos for a week. This has taken me years to master though LOL and we always shop airside on the way out for toiletries/sun lotions etc and then leave what we don't use. Saves a lot of weight and worry about leakages etc.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece