We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Essex
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Hi

We are looking to rent a villa in the Lindos area in the summer holidays and I am torn between these two areas, there are a couple of nice available villas in both areas and having never been to Rhodes before, have no idea which is the best place to be. Vlicha Bay has some beautiful views, but the villas in Navarone Bay are detached so there are fores and againsts with all the villas. We will want to eat in Lindos in the evenings, so we are prepared to have to get taxis in so my husband can have a couple of glasses of wine, would this be easily done from either area and which is the closest? We will have a car, just don't want to use it in the evenings.

So any opinions, advice and information on the two areas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jo

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Hi Jo

Distance-wise, Navarone Bay is a bit closer to Lindos but there really isn't that much in it. I can't really help with the choice of villas, never been wealthy enough to rent one....;0)

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Navarone bay is halfway between Lindos and Pefkos and not far from Lardos so more central if you might fancy eating somewhere other than Lindos one evening.The road to and around Vlicha is steep and winding and walking to Lindos is not really even an option but as you say the view from one particular villa might tip it for you.

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Hey

If it were me I would choose Navarone Bay every time. Its far easier to access Lindos village itself and is walkable, unlike Vilha. It is also easy to access the Navarone beach area and bay itself, the bay is more sheltered and parts of it offer beautiful turquoise waters. You also have Pefkos close by as well on the bus route. The villas in Vilha are situated mainly situated up the hillside and it is a trek to the beach area.

Mart

Essex
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

That was quick both, thank you.

GB, I'm not sure its the villas you have to be wealthy for, its the flights, they are ridiculous, we have never been to Greece before, can't believe how expensive it is to get there!!

btongirl, thats good to know about the roads at Vlicha, but I'm imaginging that in late July, early August, it will probably be too hot to walk far anyway, so taxis or car will be the way to go I think.

Thanks again.

Essex
Level Contributor
164 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Thanks Mart, thats interesting to know, I didn't think it was of walkable distance, so how long would it take approximately, not sure that I would want to walk more than 10 minutes in the heat when you are going out for a meal!!

I keep hearing about Pefkos, is that somewhere worth a visit, what is there?

Thanks again.

Jo

Brighton
Level Contributor
1,906 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

You're welcome Jo...I was thinking of the taxi ride home too when I thought of the winding roads ;0) There might be some villas that can be reached from the main road I don't honestly know as I've only been to Vlicha on a transfer coach on my way to Lindos village so have formed my opinion on that basis and knowing how the taxi drivers drive at breakneck speed with a coffee in one hand and a phone to their ear lol

Wirral
Level Contributor
6,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Hey

No worries, when I say its walkable, I partly mean because it is paved and lit and relatively flat apart from the slope up towards Lindos Reception. Its then downhill right into the village. The length of time all depends on the location of the villa you choose. The closest villa would mean a walk of approximately 25 minutes, however, if you chose a village towards the back of the Navarone Bay area and nearer to the Pefkos end, it could mean a 40 min walk. Access to Lindos village via Vilha Bay is difficult as the road is not paved on occasion and it is further away.

So 'walking it' may not be ideal of an evening when 'dressed up' so to speak, but very feasible in the cooler part of the morning if heading for the Lindos beaches etc etc.

Pefkos is a purpose built resort and doesnt have the charm, character and history of Lindos, however, it has its own laid back charm and has some lovely restaurants, bars, tavernas and some nice beaches and would act as a pleasant change from Navarone Bay/Lindos. I have stayed in Pefkos many times and really enjoy it.

M

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
262 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

JMB40,

We have been going to Rhodes for years and the best place for a villa holiday is Navarone Bay we stayed there a couple of years ago, great location.You are right about the flights though, £500/£600 more for the same time of year for us can't quite belive it, and certainly don't know why, its only going to discourage people.That said you will enjoy the area and Rhodes is beautiful island and the Greeks are very welcoming.Hope you get the villa you want, and good luck with the flights, I can't bring myself to book any yet, the price and the times this year are poor.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 19:07
Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,190 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

Hi

I have stayed in a villa in Navarone Bay and would choose this every time. Don't agree you can walk to Lindos though never fancied attempting it and especially after having some wine and fabulous food in Lindos. Taxis didn't cost much as its a short distance.

10. Re: Vlicha Bay or Navarone Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 January 2013, 07:44