We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leather goods!

8 posts
Save Topic
Leather goods!

This is a weird question, so advance apologies! I am thinking about holding out on buying some new leather sandals until we arrive in lindos next week... Anyone have any idea what sort of prices the traditional leather sandals are? I'd be keen to get some custom made ones and seem to remember there being places that do this in lindos? Thanks in advance! Sorry for the incredibly specific question!

Wargrave, England...
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leather goods!

The smell of leather always reminds me of Lindos, my Mum always used to bring home a pair of 'Jesus sandals' when we used to go when I was a kid! There are still plenty of leather shops in Lindos, or there were when I was last there in 2011. I'm afraid I can't remember specific prices but I do remember thinking they were quite expensive now. Not sure about custom, you might have better luck in Rhodes Town? Sorry I can't be any more help, I hope someone else has some more solid info for you!

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leather goods!

Hi,

There are a few shops in Lindos selling leather goods including sandals but I don't think they're that cheap. As already said your best bet could be Rhodes Old Town where there are dozens of leather shops.

Cheers

Dave

Zurich, Switzerland
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Leather goods!

Lindos restaurants can be great value but I wouldn't say the same about the shops - eg. I almost bought a vase in Lindos for 45 Eur but ended up buying the identical piece in Lardos for 15!

We found a great leather shop in Rhodes old town where I bought a leather carry-on bag that was a real bargain.

Funny thing, though, the owner of the shop told us all his leather goods were made in his families factory located near the airport. We believed him but when we got home, we noticed the label "Vera Pella - Made in Italy" stitched to an inner pocket.

Doesn't matter, it is a great bag for a great price!

Afandou, Greece
Level Contributor
6,832 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leather goods!

Hardly anything sold in the tourist shops in Lindos etc is made on Rhodes

Most imported from China & Asia

Aberdeen,Scotland
Level Contributor
132 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leather goods!

I am a fan of the traditional style of Lindos leather sandals and wear them all the time during the day when in Lindos but sadly I do not think there is anyone left actually making them. The last guy I am aware of who actually made them was in a shop behind the church. he has been gone from there for a few years but the shop still sells leather goods and, last year at least, still had some of the sandals you are interested in. The dying out of this trade is something I saw coming for a long time and I stocked up with enough pairs to see me out.

Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Leather goods!

Hi,

The gift shop in Lardos is good value. I visit there every time I go to Lindos and then have lunch in Bojangles!

Aussie in England
Level Contributor
72 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leather goods!

You wont find custom made sandals in Lindos any more Im afraid.

You can still get the tradiional "lindos" style sandals in he shop just bear Lindos Spa but last year they didnt have a huge number left and they were expensive to what they used to be. If my memory serves me correctly last pair I bought were 30 Euro a couple of years back

Jarrow
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Leather goods!

I wonder why it is that they cant easily be bought any more?, is it a dying art? is leather to pricey? were people simply not buying them?, they seem to be all the fashion at the moment..... maybe there's a niche in the market for a young greek entepreneur!

9. Re: Leather goods!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2014, 06:17