We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

The UK
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

Can anyone tell me if from Lindos, there is a daily bus or a daily excursion that goes to Monolithos, for the views?

If there's a bus, how often do they leave Lindos and Monolithos?

If there's an excursion from Lindos, does anyone have any further details about the office offering the excursions? Is there a website where I can view/book excursions online before I arrive?

If not how much do you think a return taxi fare would cost?

thanks

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

There are/where Island Tours that took on Monolithos, you would have to check with the one in Lindos which is Island of the Sun Tours.

No buses direct to Monolithos, though I don't know if you could get via Rhodes Town. It would be a long journey if there was! Taxi would be rather expensive, probably more than €40 each way.

The only way really is to hire a car but that's not always possible if like me you don't drive!

I would love to go back and see Kamiros but as with Monolithis its not easy or cheap to do via public transport/taxi.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes Town
Rhodes Town
Rhodes, Greece
Wales
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

We intend to hire a car for a couple of days on next trip, and I was hoping to go to Monolithos which I think, is on the west coast opposite Lindos? Also wanted to visit a couple of places further south....is this doable in two days Babs? And any info on Momolithos would be great!

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Scotland
Level Contributor
1,422 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

Monolithos is stunning. Well worth a drive. Wear some flat shoes, it's quite a steep and uneven climb up with the most amazing views. We did it early morning then went for drinks at the lovely taverna there. After that drove down to Fourni beach. Very scenic and with a handy wee cantina serving drinks and snacks. A great day out.

Mentioned in this post
Fourni Beach
Fourni Beach
77 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,351 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

There are a couple of travel agents which do island tours boat trips car hire etc in lindos I would imagine monolithos would be part of an island tour.

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

Lyn its most definitely doable in 2 days! I visited Lindos with (a now ex) boyfriend and we hired a car (I sadly don't drive) and we did the south half of the island one day and the north the next. I just wish I could remember the lovely places we ended up at, a quiet little tiny harbour with one cafe and a few sunbeds on a little bit of beach ( somewhere south from Lindos) and some ruins that we explored by ourselves as there was no one else there, (I have a feeling that was near the town of Siana) and another lovely beach/cove on the opposite side of the Island. We did get lost a few times as there seemed to be new roads that weren't on the map we had! But we found a lovely village for refreshments. We had lunch at a lovely beach taverna again on the west of the island.

I am assuming the OP doesn't drive Woody. Sadly it very difficult to get to see the many fantastic things around Rhodes if you don't.

Island tours can differ, the one I did many years ago didn't do Monolithios it did Kamiros, Butterfly Valley and Siana.

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

Lyn Jane

You could combine Monolithos with some other well worthwhile sights in that general area> It is opposite Linos approximately but although there are roads across the centre of the island, some are very rough and and the route would be very time consuming. The drive down the east coast is lovely, go as far as Gennadi then cut across the island towards Apolakkia then head north on the west coast road for about 10 kms to Monolithos village. You'll see the turning for "Monolithos Kastro" in the village.

There's plenty of free parking there and it's a bit of a pull up to the top but the views are reward enough.

flickr.com/photos/…

From Monolithos, continue on down to the lovely little beach at Fourni, a pretty spot, backed by pines and a huge hanging boulder on the beach. From Fourni, head back north to the village of Siana, famed for its herb-flavoured honey and local firewater called souma which it brews in the village. Siana is likely to be busy with coach parties but it's well worth half an hour. From Siana continue north on the west coast road to Kritinia Castle, again, stunning views inland to Mt Atavyros and over the sea towards some small islands.

Time permitting, continue north and see the beautiful fishing village of Kamiros Skala and finish the day out at Kamiros, for me, one of the most atmospheric and beautifully located ancient sites in Greece. When done, cut across the island to Kolymbia from where it's a short hop back to Lindos.

All these suggestions are included in the above link to my photos.

Mentioned in this post
Kritinia Castle
Kritinia Castle
288 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Skala
Skala
Cephalonia, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Kolymbia Beach Hotel
Kolymbia Beach Hotel
788 Reviews
Rhodes, Greece
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Semington, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,826 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

Hi,

In May Island of the Sun travel in Lindos were advertising a Scenic South tour on a Friday. It leaves at 0915 and retutns by 1630 and costs €28 per adult and €14 per child. It visits Asklipio, Apolakia, Sianna, Monolithos and Prassonisi.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Lindos
Lindos
Rhodes, Greece
Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

I hope that's still running in Oct Dave as I fancy that myself as its been a while since I've been out and about in Rhodes, pity its not going to Kamiros though, I love it there.

Thanks for the info!

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
Derby, UK
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
7,868 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

Some years since I was at Monolithos, I remember sitting in the car eating ice cream as it was too cold outside... it was almost a British summer holiday! It's a nice spot but for me, one I'd stop off at en route to somewhere. It's pretty and scenic but I think once you've seen it and taken a few photos you can soon move on. So yes, you could easily do the South in two days Lyn. I've never really had a plan, just drove around and stopped off wherever looks interesting. You can do this really easily on Rhodes and still hit the sights/sites you want to. The only problem is when you find a really great taverna and haven't a clue where it is, it's lost until the next time you happen upon it :-/

As for the scenic South tour, a friend did this last summer and said you didn't have a lot of time off the coach. It was a quick coffee stop and away again. That said I think you'll find that with most tours, trouble is you're working at a pace that suits the crowd and the travel agent, not necessarily you.

Mentioned in this post
Rhodes
Rhodes
Dodecanese, Greece
The UK
Level Contributor
228 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: bus or excursion trips from Lindos to Monolithos?

thanks for your help with this. I'm glad it may just be possible of an excursion, otherwise a possible taxi. cheers all