We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Light is your Luggage?

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wales
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
How Light is your Luggage?

A thread came up on here recently which evolved into luggage weight. I usually struggle to keep within 15kg, so opt for the 20kg choice...and that's with a super-light suitcase! One poster managed to keep to 23kg...between the 2 of them! But another poster, amazingly can keep their luggage down to 5 kg....how the hell they do they do that?! What tricks to other Lindos lovers employ to minimise luggage wight?!

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
10,448 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
51. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

If you have a suitcase, then they could ask you to transfer stuff. If that left your case overweight then theoretically you could be charged for that.

If you have hand luggage only, it depends on the airline. EJ totally relaxed about weight, but if you are over with RA they will make you put the bag in the hold and charge you accordingly. A lot of money!

Edited: 02 August 2013, 17:48
wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
52. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

Hi

The last couple of times I have flown once with jet2 and once with easy jet both have insisted on one bag per person hand luggage, so any duty frees or extras you buy before boarding must fit in the one bag! Probably why jet2 is 10 kg and easy jet unlimited. Monarchy's ZB flights were 10kg and allowed two bags as long as they both fitted in the gauge together.

S S W

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
53. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

We were charged an additional £12 per kilo earlier this year flying with Thomsons out of Doncaster, £36 in total - gutted, only to find out that my phone, handbag, big purse, big bunch of house and car keys weighed in more than that and obviously were never used, doh! On the way back we made sure that all phones, ipods, kindles, keys were stuffed into every possible pocket and even down the back of my hubbies trousers! We were underweight on the way out! Pockets all the way now - dont care how hot I am!

Just in case anyone is flying out from Doncaster and hasn't before, there is very little shopping, no Boots (I know!) so if you wanted to wait and get toiletries from air side then dont. WHSmiths do sell a very small selection but the prices are extortionate!

We had a tip that we should take a bar of Dove soap (other soaps are available) instead of taking his n hers shower gels, but now that I've seen the Avon comments on here then we will place our order with Louise.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
54. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

Do Thomsons weight hand luggage at check in or gate...or both? Weighed my bag yesterday, so far only 4kg. I've placed my toiletry order with Louise at Avon for delivery morning after late arrival so that should keep weight down.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
55. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

At Doncaster they weigh the hand luggage first then the cases, so if your hand luggage is over 5kg they make you put it in your case, making your case overweight!

I remember when ladies were allowed to take one piece of hand luggage plus your handbag, not now, boo!

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

Sorry I meant to add that they only weigh at check in - not at the departure gate

Suffolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Cephalonia
Level Contributor
9,295 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
57. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

Easyjet allow one cabin case (any reasonable weight) plus they also allow one bag bought airside of security (what used to be called duty free). At least they did in May this year

Bob

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,334 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

Thanks for update, can unstuff pockets after check in then and remove the IPad from back of hubby's trousers! He he

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
232 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

Ha ha - exactly! My hubby had our Ipad down his trousers, he looked most uncomfortable - I'll bet people were wondering what he was doing when he retrieved it!

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
60. Re: How Light is your Luggage?

"but I would NEVER fly with an airline that weighed you pre-flight....what next....'Sir, what did you eat for your last meal? Egg, sausage, pie AND chips"

With the full body scanning imaging they now do at certain airports I'm surprised they can't see what you've just had for breakfast