We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surgery and insurance

Which Lindos hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Surgery and insurance

Hi everyone,

I had my appendix out on Saturday (got a pain on Thursday, hospital Friday, operation Saturday, home Sunday!)

I fly to Lindos in 5 weeks so in a weird way thinking its lucky it didn't flair up in 5 weeks time!

I've got insurance with Thomson - it's just the standard one you take out when buying your trip,but the nurse said it would be best to alert them I've just had surgery. Does anyone know of how this may impact the cost / insurance etc

All docs said I would be fine by then to fly etc so I'm happy - just need to ring Thomson and tell them what has happened!

Thanks in advance :)

wales
Level Contributor
551 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surgery and insurance

Hi a_dutz

Unsure why the nurse said you should inform thomson insurance??? Any complications would occur well before the next 5 weeks?? My advice to you would be to contact your G.P, and ask their advice?? Even ask for a fit to travel note?? Maybe the nurse was just being cautious as we know how these insurance agencies like to duck out of payment!!!

S S W

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surgery and insurance

Hi there

An appendectomy is a routine and relatively minor op and there are rarely any after effects, both my parents had one as did my brother and an uncle, all of whom were as right as rain after a couple of weeks. With five weeks to go, I wouldn't even mention it to the insurers as long as you feel fit and healthy from now until date of departure.

wakefield
Level Contributor
173 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surgery and insurance

Hi

Sorry i'm afraid i disagree with most of the comments. It really depends on the insurers as some will dredge up any unrelated illness to avoid paying out medical bills. If i were you i would mention your operation to your insurer, it may cost a little more but in my opinion it's worth it for peace of mind.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,482 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surgery and insurance

My travel insurance requires a declaration when taking out the policy that I have no existing condition, or any planned treatment or surgery due to take place before travelling. It then goes on to say that anything which arises between buying the policy & the actual travel date which may have resulted in a different answer to the questions asked (for example "have you had surgery in the twelve months prior to travel?") requires me to contact the insurers before travelling to re-assess the premium. If I did not do this I would not blame the insurance company trying to "duck out" of paying should the worst happen!

I would definitely tell your insurer. Any sort of even minor surgery can result in unforseen further complications, infections, internal bleeding etc etc. A small extra premium is peace of mind that you will not be denied assistance should anything unfortunate happen.

Atherton, United...
Destination Expert
for Lindos
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surgery and insurance

Personally I would ring your insurer and tell them about your surgery. Not worth taking any chances should something happen while you're on holiday! Its extremely unlikely it will but you just never know.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surgery and insurance

Hi, I was a travel manager dealing daily with insurance claims. All insurance companies must be advised of any pre existing condition, even if you have had your insurance before your operation. If you have any problems whilst on holiday, and have not advised them before departure your insurance will not cover you.They can be very canny, and relate one condition to another, so please ring them and advise. As your insurance has been covering you since you took the policy out, it really shouldnt effect the premium, as long as you are not travelling against medical advice.To be honest, you cant tell the insurance enough, for peace of mind, you need to know no matter what that you wont be left with a bill unpaid should you need to use it,- hopefully you wont, but at the end of the day thats what we take it out for isnt it? Have a safe and wonderful holiday.

Stroud, United...
Level Contributor
167 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surgery and insurance

My nine year old son developed a condition called HSP just four weeks ago. We travel to Lindos this Saturday, he’s fine now. (yippee!) But the condition can reoccur, effecting his blood pressure, and if he’s really unlucky his kidneys!

We notified our existing travel insurer and they added £45 to the premium. He will always have to declare this every renewal, because there’s always a chance it will return.

Better to be safe than sorry I think.

Huddersfield...
Level Contributor
26 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Surgery and insurance

Yes i totally agree, £45 is a small price compared with medical bills abroad, and peace of mind is priceless.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
235 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Surgery and insurance

Thanks everyone. I definetly wanted to declare it, just wanted advice from you lovely Lindos fans :)

It's getting so close now...can't wait!

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
574 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surgery and insurance

Last year my friend a diabetic had a bit of a turn and although fully insured the insurance company still tried to duck out of paying the 1300 euro bill, then they delayed paying the hospital by months and my friend kept getting threatening letters from the hospital to pay! Eventually the insurance company paid the bill after a lot of phone calls to them and obviously a lot of worry!

One other thing, when she was released by the hospital she had to pay from her own pocket for the taxi back to Lindos, the insurance wouldnt cover the 50e cost of that!

L