We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel money advice

Jersey C.i.
Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Topic
travel money advice

we are doing a round the world trip stopping off in Singapore, Australia, NZ and US. Is it best to take a small amount of local currency, and use credit cards, or take travellers cheques . If TC'S should they be in USD or GBP. Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel money advice

Did you mean to post this on the Lindos, Rhodes forum?

Lancashire, United...
Level Contributor
531 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel money advice

Did you mean to post this on the Lindos, Rhodes forum? I wouldn't have thought so....

Jersey C.i.
Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel money advice

No. It is a general query

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel money advice

Everyone is asking as its Euros in Rhodes and most people are in that one place for the entirety of their holiday, also its a very different place to the ones you have mentioned, euros are easily accessible via ATM in resort. Also most people travelling to Rhodes/Greece on this forum may not have travelled to your destinations. May I suggest you post on the forums for the relevant countries? I'm sure regular travellers to those destinations will be more than happy to help!

Applecross, United...
Level Contributor
3,136 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: travel money advice

Probably better to get one of those travel cards that you can pre-load with £££ and use in other countries to exchange for their particular currency. TC's are a bit out of vogue now - I haven't been using them for over 20 years

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: travel money advice

Travellers' cheques will be pretty well useless: hardly anyone will cash them.

There is no need for a special card. Take a credit card for larger purchases, and a debit card to get money out of ATMs from your usual account. Just like at home.

Jersey C.i.
Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel money advice

Thanks, thats great advice. Do you think a little local currency on hand for tips on arrival etc. is a good idea.

Atherton, United...
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel money advice

Personally I would always take some local currancy with me for immidate purchases. As its been said TCs don't seem to be used/accepted in many places these days. Can't even remember the last time I used one!

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
1,140 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: travel money advice

Be very carefull using credit cards and debit cards just like at home because its not just like at home you can get stung with some very heavy charges if you use the wrong ones.

If you do a bit of research you can get credit cards with no fees ie nationwide or Halifax clarity

Jersey C.i.
Level Contributor
6 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: travel money advice

Thank you. I know that we will incur charges when using our credit cards, but I think it's one of the better ways of doing it. I will, however, look into the other methods that you have suggested.